• NJ Transit PL42AC

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Eric Kreszl

Attention NJ Transit and NJ railfans. I took a picture of a test train on the CSAO Lehigh Line . The train consisted of 2 NJ transit PL42AC diesels pulling 2 passenger cars with one on each end. #4021 was pulling this train. Are there any more in service yet on the system? What is the current situtation on these new PL42AC's?

Eric

by nick11a

Yes, some diesel sets on the Hoboken Side (Diesel trains on Main Line, Bergen Line, Pascack, Monty-Boonty and Morristown and sometimes on some PJ trains) feature some of the PL42ACs.

Whereabouts did you see this. It would be most unusual to see an NJT test train on a segment where NJT engineers aren't qualified. Was it on the Aldene/Roselle/Union segment of the Lehigh? I can't see them testing the PL42ACs on any other part of the Lehigh as NJT engineers aren't qualified on this.

by Eric Kreszl

I saw the train inHillside right behind the Fire House off of Hollywood Ave. My father is the current Hillside TWP. Fire Chief.
  by General

Eric Kreszl wrote:Attention NJ Transit and NJ railfans. I took a picture of a test train on the CSAO Lehigh Line . The train consisted of 2 NJ transit PL42AC diesels pulling 2 passenger cars with one on each end. #4021 was pulling this train. Are there any more in service yet on the system? What is the current situtation on these new PL42AC's?

Eric
It was most likely a test train operating on the Raritan Valley Line.

by njt4172

Eric Kreszl wrote:I saw the train inHillside right behind the Fire House off of Hollywood Ave. My father is the current Hillside TWP. Fire Chief.
Eric,

Who is your father??? My uncle is Bill Pellettiere...I think he is captain...Sometimes I watch trains by the Hollywood Ave company..

Steve

by Eric Kreszl

My Father is Robert Kreszl.
  by nick11a

General wrote:
Eric Kreszl wrote:Attention NJ Transit and NJ railfans. I took a picture of a test train on the CSAO Lehigh Line . The train consisted of 2 NJ transit PL42AC diesels pulling 2 passenger cars with one on each end. #4021 was pulling this train. Are there any more in service yet on the system? What is the current situtation on these new PL42AC's?

Eric
It was most likely a test train operating on the Raritan Valley Line.
Yeah, if you saw it in Hillsborough, and you saw a set like that, you probably observed it on the RVL.

by David Hutchinson

Saw one of these at Campbell Hall last week on a train with six or so coaches........

by sullivan1985

Wheres the picture?

by David Hutchinson

Sorry, no camera that day. Was in the neighborhood and decided to go to the station. Unit was heading towards Port Jervis. The length of the unit makes it look like it needs six axles, not four. Had also seen one of these units in the Suffern Yard the day before. Was there for at least three hours or more with five or so cars....... Are these units rare right now on revenue trains?

by sullivan1985

David Hutchinson wrote:Sorry, no camera that day. Was in the neighborhood and decided to go to the station. Unit was heading towards Port Jervis. The length of the unit makes it look like it needs six axles, not four. Had also seen one of these units in the Suffern Yard the day before. Was there for at least three hours or more with five or so cars....... Are these units rare right now on revenue trains?
You find a few of them in revenue now and then. Not very often yet, but they have been used.

by Steve F45

What do you mean in revenue/not in revenue? Confused a bit, i see atleast 2 every morning on the pvl from my job. usually the first 2 trains of the day.

by RichM

Yeah, same here, same line... seems like I see one in Hillsdale in the evening around 7 or so... appears to be a regular thing, although it was odd seeing one for the first time at night!

by DutchRailnut

For more info on PL42AC's check the New Jersey Transit rail forum.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforu ... feb5a528c8

by sullivan1985

2005Vdub wrote:What do you mean in revenue/not in revenue? Confused a bit, i see atleast 2 every morning on the pvl from my job. usually the first 2 trains of the day.
Revenue Service means they are in service as regular passenger trains and fares are collected on board it's trains.