• NJ Rail Travelers wary after Spanish Bombing...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by poot

Wary? Who was wary? I didn't see anyone wary on my trains.

by Guest

I'm sure that both crews and passengers have been a bit wary. I was slightly wary today on my way home for spring break.

by nick11a

Anonymous wrote:I'm sure that both crews and passengers have been a bit wary. I was slightly wary today on my way home for spring break.
Oh shoot. That was me. I'm home now and I didn't log in.

by Jtgshu

Im damn weary about it.....

Ive already had thoughts running through my head about what would I and my crew do if something like that were to happen on my train with 1200 plus people on it (12 MU's)

Try to stop the train in a location away from anything and everyone else if possible, if able to move the train, but at a location accessable to rescuers......get people out....call dispatch, tell them to stop all train movements in the area ASAP........open ALL the doors - let people fall and get out of the center doors - better than getting blown to smitherines......what to do with 1200 people scared completely out of their minds - many of the same people who dealt with WTC. Tying down and securing the train, so there isn't a runaway train with unknown number of possible bombs on it......tell dispatch to shut overhead power off - debris may be on or contacting live wires - electricuting people....make sure tracks are clear and traffic stopped so that these peopel wandering around aren't hit by an Acela at 100 plus MPH......not to mention my own life and safety - how do I konw everyone is out......am I far enough away? Did I miss seeing the bags on my pretrip inspection? Was there anything I could I have done to prevent this....

All these questions have gone through my head, adn im sure the heads of passenger railroaders all over the world.......why THAT train, why NOT my train, could it be my train?

There is a lot more to this job than just collecting tickets........most people here know that.....but most of the rest of the world and riding public doesn't.......hell, even the company doesn't realize that most of the time......but thats all part of it. Thats part of the job of being an engineer, or trainmen, but especially the conductor of a train. The lives of all these people are your responsibility.....and once they step on board, everything changes.....they are your sheep, and you are the shepard, simple as that.......

by Gruntled

JTGSHU,
sounds like someone needs some miller time... :wink:

by Jtgshu

Nah, vacation in a few days....thats all!!!!

And do I need one!!! :)

by nick11a

Well Jt, I guess it is better to think about such stuff than not to think about it. You seem to have everything thought out though for the most part.

About the center doors- passengers trying to get out of a 2M will undoubtedly have problems. They always have the window exits though but certainly the 2Ms will take the longest to evacuate than any other car (on a NY train).
  by AKelley728

When I was waiting for the Clocker at PJ last Friday I saw a couple of people reading the front page of the paper with major concern on their faces. I know I'm somewhat wary now getting on a train since it happened, and I know my family is worried, but life goes on, just like it did after 9/11.

To all those who haven't yet, please say a prayer for the victims and their families.
  by nick11a

AKelley728 wrote:To all those who haven't yet, please say a prayer for the victims and their families.
Already have and will do.

by trainfreak

I was thinking the other day. What of major railroad terminals almost become like major airports. With possible luggage check in (if need be) security guards everywhere and you have to arrive to get on your train early. I could almost see it happening with metal detectors and everything. Thats just what i think. Does anyone else see something along these lines happening?

by Jtgshu

No, its almost impossible for any type of commuter rail.....long distance, yes maybe, but not with commuters.

If they have to get screened at the train station every day for 5, 10, 15 minutes, they are giong to drive and get to work other ways. Not to mention the "Just In Time" arrival at the station get tehre, run down stairs to the train. Most commuters don't wait at the station for a particular train, they get on the next one or the fastest one (not necessarily the next trian leaving though) to their destination.

Also, the thousands of people that rush in and out of a station during rush hour in mere minutes would simply create a people gridlock and no one would be able to move with people waiting to get screened. The compacting of people more and more by slowing down the flow would only make that location an even more desireable target because of the increased number people that are in that location (trapped basically and possibly creating a crowd/riot/stampeede problem)

Anyway, metal detectors and things like that are not doing anything to guard against the outside of the terminal/station the streets above the station (permamently close 8th ave in NYC because it passes over the station? = can't do that!!!) and all the outlying stations where people get on the trains with no security at all.

"invisible" security IMO is the best deterrant and measure that the agencies can do. Undercover police, detectors of various germs/poisons/radation, etc, intelligence all coupled with a police presense in the locations is once again, in my opinion, the best that we can do, and the most realistic and practical.

by CarterB

The best defense against any rail terrorist incident is public awareness.
Baggage/backpacks/packages left unattended, suspicious activity or conversations, people in places they shouldn't be, etc.

And a common reporting system in addition to 911 (a well posted transit police #, etc.)

by F23A4

JT, those are the same questions I've asked myself the day/day after this happened, being a daily passenger on a crowded 12 car MU (Jrsy Av-Nwk). I do get a bit nervous when we roll into Edison in the a.m. rush as A LOT of folks fit the appearance of middle easterners (though I'd venture to state that most-all are hard working folks heading to work).

IMO, having bomb sniffing dogs at most stations would also go along way towards helping to prevent a 'Madrid Bombing' from happening here. These dogs can smell explosives up to a mile away.

by BlockLine_4111

A major overhaul of US immigration policy is long overdue in order to prevent 3/11 & 9/11 style events. This is the core component of a true homeland security. But neither Bush nor Kerry have the b_-_-_-s to make such a proposition.