Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by theseaandalifesaver

I was in NYC this week and had a few hours to spare, so I decided to ride the D line since I wasn't too familiar with it. I got off at ninth street because I had read about the abandoned lower section of the station and wanted to see if I could see any of it.

When I got off, I got out of the station and took a right and noticed a platform with a few odd looking trains. Any idea what those are?

Also, once I got on the train and started heading back towards Manhattan I noticed two or three ramps with tracks going in an upward/right direction. Considering that only the D line runs on this, I couldn't figure out what either of these things were.

Is there still an entire subway line after the underground ninth ave stop? Or was that the last stop?
  by R36 Combine Coach

theseaandalifesaver wrote:When I got off, I got out of the station and took a right and noticed a platform with a few odd looking trains. Any idea what those are? Heading back towards Manhattan I noticed two or three ramps with tracks going in an upward/right direction. Considering that only the D line runs on this, I couldn't figure out what either of these things were.
That's the BMT 36 Street Yard, a MoW facility. The South Brooklyn Railway (NYCT's in-house freight line) connects here and runs west to the Bush Terminal dock yards.
  by Passenger

It's the remains of the station that fed the Culver line, and later was the terminal of the Culver Shuttle.

There's also some ramps up to nowhere (no tracks) west of the station that once led to the 5th Avenue Brooklyn el.

9th Avenue was quite a junction at one time.

See this: http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/detail-9thave.png