• Night moves @ Fresh Pond

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by LIRR272

Hello,

I was told that on Friday nights (late nights) NY&A has a few picks ups in Maspeth. So on Nov. 18 I ventured over to Maspeth Yd. to see what I can see. Unfortunately nothing, however alot of radio chatter was heard.

So I moved over to Fresh Pond and heard RS 90 making moves in the yd. and I also heard RS 100 making moves over the radio. So my question is does any of these trains leave the yard and if so where do they go during the late night hours?

Lamont

by Knife-Switch

Lamont,

Check out the Bushwick Branch for details.

by LIRR272

Knife-Switch

I went to the Bushwick Branch site as you suggested. Gathering from what I read RS90 & 100 move over the Bushwick Branch. During the late nights, are their any good places to take photos from a car? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most of the ROW is elevated?

I live on LI but closer to Queens, so where can I get good photos of NY&A train movements and what is a good time to see them?

I appreciate any info you can provide.

by LIRR272

Knife-Switch

I might also add that I looked at the NY&A Sighting page but most of the posting deal with trains out East. Thats why I asked about trains on the West end around Fresh Pond Yd and into Brooklyn.

Thanks again.

by mainline

Lamont RS 40 switches LIC and Maspeth Yard. A.m LIC (not a good idea) returning Maspeth around noon. Be careful around the yard. Lots of crazy drivers attempting to beat the closing gates. Could be an RS 30 move on either Bay Ridge or Bushwick depending on need.

by Scrap em Again

Mainline, whats not a good idea about the RS-40?? I love dealing with those crasy ba$tard drivers :wink: . That is just about the best spot to get a laugh when we trap some arrogant gate runner!. Then we play a game called "Monkey in the middle". The train creeps onto the crossing, then we see the idiot panic, either he floors it going in reverse, or forward and rams the car in front of him. You just never know where they will go. I love their wide eyed look, they repeat it the next day. LOL!!

by phantom

Had one today at Waverly Ave? in Holtsville switching Sherwood! Not as good as my Combine score, but close! I'll tell you all about it when I come west again! Still nothing beats those idiot drivers in Maspeth! Ever play "frogger" after closing up and on the way home?

by mutz155

IS IT TRUE THAT THE NYAR IS GETTING SUED ABOUT THE RUNYAR-WAY ENGINE DOWN THE BUSHWICK???? IF SO, WHO FORGOT TO TIE THE ENGINE DOWN WHEN THEY ALL WENT TO GET A SNACK AT THE MALL? I AM INDEED IN A FESTIVE MOOD!!! (IT'S THAT DOUBLE TIME CHECK THAT I GET FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY!)

by ncvab

mutz155 wrote:IS IT TRUE THAT THE NYAR IS GETTING SUED ABOUT THE RUNYAR-WAY ENGINE DOWN THE BUSHWICK???? IF SO, WHO FORGOT TO TIE THE ENGINE DOWN WHEN THEY ALL WENT TO GET A SNACK AT THE MALL? I AM INDEED IN A FESTIVE MOOD!!! (IT'S THAT DOUBLE TIME CHECK THAT I GET FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY!)

AM, you've been gone from the railroad for years. Why are you still so bitter?

by mainline

Scrap not a good idea about wandering around LIC Team and surrounding area. Since the crew told me about an incident regarding Yard A track. MTA PD saw them leave the gate(after leaving engine) to get some food and then when they returned he wanted to see some id. I guess he was bored . NO ID no access. Actually I enjoyed watching the drivers driving thru the closing crossing gates and flooring it to get out on the other side. No near misses that day.

by Sir Ray

mutz155 wrote:IS IT TRUE THAT THE NYAR IS GETTING SUED ABOUT THE RUNYAR-WAY ENGINE DOWN THE BUSHWICK???? IF SO, WHO FORGOT TO TIE THE ENGINE DOWN WHEN THEY ALL WENT TO GET A SNACK AT THE MALL? I AM INDEED IN A FESTIVE MOOD!!! (IT'S THAT DOUBLE TIME CHECK THAT I GET FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY!)
Wasn't that a LIRR MOW engine, if you talking about the incident of several months ago?

by Scrap em Again

Ive' been working the RS-40 for the past 4 months and never, ever once seen a MTA PD vehicle around the team tracks, or on the Arch St. lead. The cop-heckling the crew must be a old one as I have never heard it, but yet I do not disqualify it, anything is possible @ NYALAND!!
However MTA PD presence is heavier at Maspeth yard, as the sit around there to meet their quotas for the month! Most of the MTA guys are quite friendly to us as we are the regular crew, and never hassle us. Some even participate in "gate patrol" to help keep the last second runners away from us. So for any railfan visiting the area, there is some intricate switching moves involved in Maspeth. As long as you keep a safe distance from the tracks, and be cool to the MTA if they catch you, you should be able to get some shots.
Also buying me a pizza will help you even more :wink:

by mainline

I think Smoochie or Sparky told me the story. Probably Smoochie. I didn't see any MTA PD at Maspeth or LIC when I was visiting that day. At that time the PD was guarding the tube. How's the heat in the old yardmasters building? It must be nice at lunch. I'm sure Pizza beats the diner anytime.