Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by justalurker66

JLJ061 wrote:Was out that way yesterday to try and document the wire crews working, but got washed out by the rain instead. :(
Saturday was a very wet day. There were breaks in the rain but I noticed water drops on the lens in some of my pictures (which is annoying).

The best part was that they left the catenary vehicle at the Beverly Shores platform overnight. If anyone wanted to get up close and personal it was a perfect opportunity (better than a few weeks ago when it passed Beverly Shores and one had to take pictures as it moved). Not too personal, of course - the cameras at the platform would help protect the train from the crazies. But being able to walk next to it for as long as one wanted was good.
JLJ061 wrote:I did see the new signals put up at Carroll Ave and the CSS/NICD diamond, any idea how long until they're in service?
Did you notice how skinny the top light of the WB signal is?

I expect the signals won't be working until fall but I wouldn't mind being wrong. Putting them into service changes the rule book - taking Shops out of the unsignalled yard category and making the track through CTC. While it was announced that CTC to Birchim was going to be in place last fall, I expect that the entire line to Grandview will become CTC at the same time - and the ETT will change once for the next 28 miles instead of needing multiple changes in the next year.

There is still plenty to do at Carroll Ave ... one odd signal base has been installed on the north side of the mainline across from the platform. It is possible that this will be a "wrong side" signal for eastbound trains or an oddball second westbound CTC signal. There is a base for a dwarf signal on the freight track by the diesel shops which could be a "wrong side" signal for eastbound freights on the track north of the main. I didn't see any signal bases for the shops track connecting to the main (westbound) ... and the rails need to be cut at most of the signal locations to divide where trains are detected. Plenty to do.

The signals at the eastbound end of the car yard tracks were completed a few weeks ago, along with signals for the dock track. Personally I'd place the new EB signal leaving shops up near the platform (between the "South Bend Trains Stop Here" sign and the west end of the dock track). That would place a WB CTC signal at a good place to stop trains before entering the platform and allow for dwarfs to control the westbound exit from the yard tracks. This is west of the location of the old eastbound ABS signal before the main was moved one track south and the first ABS EB was moved to the far east end of shops. (That old EB ABS start signal was just west of Karwick Rd on what is now CY-0.)
CTCRailFan#1 wrote:Was out on the east end of the CTC project this weekend despite the rain and there was a lot of work going on. The contractor removed the existing crossing house from Walnut Rd. and put the new house and flashers into service. Additional the existing signal west of the road crossing was retired and a new signal was put into service. (The NS was also out with ballast regualtors and track crews on the track running parallel to the NICTD line, it appears they were re-surfacing grade crossings through the area.

The contractor working on the CTC system also commissioned the new crossing house and flashers at the 425E grade crossing.
It is good to see something going on to the east of MC. I noticed some signal work in Michigan City (Vail St) where it appears gates and a cantilever signal will be installed but I didn't look east of MC on the way home this weekend (I looked a week ago and saw no changes).

Actually placing the new Walnut Rd signal into service is good. Did you see the number on it? Is it still 120 WB? The last time I went over that crossing nothing had changed. It looks like I need to make a quick trip over to see what else I've missed. (New signal in Hudson Lake active? Signal at New Carlisle substation removed? Crossing signals at Smilax, Tulip, Sage, Quince, Pear in service? Any other new signals in use? Any work at Grandview?)

It is good to see 425E finally in service. Did 500E still have that one crossing signal left to replace?

Seeing work resume east of Michigan City is good. With the emphasis moved to Carroll Ave the track east almost seemed ignored.
  by justalurker66

An update on the CTC project (as filed at Recovery.gov - Project IN-96-X009 "Begin and complete the replacement of NICTD's signals and control system and replace station signs and maps with new ones." $7,502,464):
In the first quarter of 2011, the contractor completed the remaining signal circuit designs and submitted them to NICTD for review; as of the end of the first quarter of 2011, NICTD had approved 17 of the 88 designs. The contractor also continued field work on construction of signal sites out on the railroad; as of the end of the first quarter of 2011, 77 of 83 signal apparatus locations were complete. Also, the contractor had completed 90% of the control point work at the two passing sidings. As of the end of the first quarter of 2011, the portion of the activity to be funded through this FTA ARRA Project is about 45% complete; this signal replacement activity was funded in 2010 through FTA ARRA Project IN-56-0001, but as of the beginning of 2011, this FTA Project funds this activity?s work. This FTA Project will finance this activity through the end of 2011. Due to winter weather, no progress was made on the signage activity in the first quarter of 2011. Work on this activity will resume when the weather improves later in 2011. This activity is still about 43% complete.
The funding for the project was split between two ARRA awards. The other award ($6,412,487 IN-56-0001 "Begin and complete the replacement of NICTD's signals and control system.") was officially "completed" in the first quarter.
  by justalurker66

South Shore intersection to close for repairs
Excerpt from the Michigan City News Dispatch
MICHIGAN CITY — One of the city’s busiest intersections will close June 1-7 for repairs to South Shore tracks.

That week, Franklin and 11th streets will be closed to motorists as Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District works on full-scale repairs to the tracks there.

“I urge that we do this as soon as possible,” NICTD Chief Engineer Chris Beck said at Monday morning’s Board of Public Works & Safety meeting at City Hall. “It’s mandatory that we do this work to be in compliance with the Federal Railroad Administration requirements.”

The 11th Street South Shore station also will be closed during that span, with the majority of the repair process occurring June 4-5.

“We will be required to replace the track entirely,” Beck said.
  by justalurker66

justalurker66 wrote:There is still plenty to do at Carroll Ave ... one odd signal base has been installed on the north side of the mainline across from the platform. It is possible that this will be a "wrong side" signal for eastbound trains or an oddball second westbound CTC signal. There is a base for a dwarf signal on the freight track by the diesel shops which could be a "wrong side" signal for eastbound freights on the track north of the main. I didn't see any signal bases for the shops track connecting to the main (westbound) ... and the rails need to be cut at most of the signal locations to divide where trains are detected. Plenty to do.
I went out Friday afternoon ... a new "wrong side" eastbound signal is in place (bagged for later use) across from the platform. It is further west than I would expect it to be - I expected it to be closer to the points for the division between the yard tracks and the mainline to South Bend. A more eastward position would make it easier to clear for eastbound trains coming out of the Shops (daily 401 and 403, weekends 701 and 703) and the late night return trips from South Bend (daily 422 and 424, weekend 710 and two extras). With the location chosen, there is only ~150 ft between the westbound signal at the diamond and the eastbound signal for yard vs main to South bend. There are ~235 ft between the westbound signal at the diamond and the eastbound points. I would have made the gap between signals large enough to contain a two car train. There is room there without crowding the points.

This choice of signal location means all trains noted above will have to be cleared past the diamond, effectively all the way to CP 34.5, in order to clear the eastbound signal controlling entrance to the car yard vs travel west to South Bend. It probably isn't a big deal since NICTD has been running four car trains to South Bend. But another ~30 ft east would allow a two car train to fit nicely.

BTW: There was also a bagged "wrong side" dwarf signal on the freight track north of the main as it enters the yard.

No westbound signals or bases in place yet although based on cuts in the rail and other work that suggests that the new westbounds entering the Carroll Ave station will be approximately in line with the west wall of the SouthShore Freight office building.
CTCRailFan#1 wrote:Was out on the east end of the CTC project this weekend despite the rain and there was a lot of work going on. The contractor removed the existing crossing house from Walnut Rd. and put the new house and flashers into service. Additional the existing signal west of the road crossing was retired and a new signal was put into service.

The contractor working on the CTC system also commissioned the new crossing house and flashers at the 425E grade crossing.
Unfortunately 425E and the move of the Walnut Rd signal were the only noticeable changes since the end of March. The crossing signals are the same as they were before (old bell and slightly rusty, although not as beat up as Smilax Rd's crossing signals. The new WB signal is 122 (replacing 120). I cannot see the new EB signal's sign. I suppose I'll have to wait for a train ride or for someone to call out that signal's failure on the radio.
  by CTCRailFan#1

Unfortunately 425E and the move of the Walnut Rd signal were the only noticeable changes since the end of March. The crossing signals are the same as they were before (old bell and slightly rusty, although not as beat up as Smilax Rd's crossing signals. The new WB signal is 122 (replacing 120). I cannot see the new EB signal's sign. I suppose I'll have to wait for a train ride or for someone to call out that signal's failure on the radio

The left handed EB signal number plate is 121. At the time the plate has a white background. I am pretty sure when the signals at Smilax road are controlled that number will have a yellow background.
  by CTCRailFan#1

justalurker66 wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:There is still plenty to do at Carroll Ave ... one odd signal base has been installed on the north side of the mainline across from the platform. It is possible that this will be a "wrong side" signal for eastbound trains or an oddball second westbound CTC signal. There is a base for a dwarf signal on the freight track by the diesel shops which could be a "wrong side" signal for eastbound freights on the track north of the main. I didn't see any signal bases for the shops track connecting to the main (westbound) ... and the rails need to be cut at most of the signal locations to divide where trains are detected. Plenty to do.
I went out Friday afternoon ... a new "wrong side" eastbound signal is in place (bagged for later use) across from the platform. It is further west than I would expect it to be - I expected it to be closer to the points for the division between the yard tracks and the mainline to South Bend. A more eastward position would make it easier to clear for eastbound trains coming out of the Shops (daily 401 and 403, weekends 701 and 703) and the late night return trips from South Bend (daily 422 and 424, weekend 710 and two extras). With the location chosen, there is only ~150 ft between the westbound signal at the diamond and the eastbound signal for yard vs main to South bend. There are ~235 ft between the westbound signal at the diamond and the eastbound points. I would have made the gap between signals large enough to contain a two car train. There is room there without crowding the points.

This choice of signal location means all trains noted above will have to be cleared past the diamond, effectively all the way to CP 34.5, in order to clear the eastbound signal controlling entrance to the car yard vs travel west to South Bend. It probably isn't a big deal since NICTD has been running four car trains to South Bend. But another ~30 ft east would allow a two car train to fit nicely.

BTW: There was also a bagged "wrong side" dwarf signal on the freight track north of the main as it enters the yard.

No westbound signals or bases in place yet although based on cuts in the rail and other work that suggests that the new westbounds entering the Carroll Ave station will be approximately in line with the west wall of the SouthShore Freight office building.
CTCRailFan#1 wrote:Was out on the east end of the CTC project this weekend despite the rain and there was a lot of work going on. The contractor removed the existing crossing house from Walnut Rd. and put the new house and flashers into service. Additional the existing signal west of the road crossing was retired and a new signal was put into service.

Unfortunately 425E and the move of the Walnut Rd signal were the only noticeable changes since the end of March. The crossing signals are the same as they were before (old bell and slightly rusty, although not as beat up as Smilax Rd's crossing signals. The new WB signal is 122 (replacing 120). I cannot see the new EB signal's sign. I suppose I'll have to wait for a train ride or for someone to call out that signal's failure on the radio.

I would anticipate that there will be some sectionalized releasing around the diamonds and the odd eastward (Pocket) signal across from the platform. It would seem that the current configuration will allow for the maximum amount of parallel moves, follow moves etc through the interlocking.
  by justalurker66

CTCRailFan#1 wrote:
Unfortunately 425E and the move of the Walnut Rd signal were the only noticeable changes since the end of March. The crossing signals are the same as they were before (old bell and slightly rusty, although not as beat up as Smilax Rd's crossing signals. The new WB signal is 122 (replacing 120). I cannot see the new EB signal's sign. I suppose I'll have to wait for a train ride or for someone to call out that signal's failure on the radio
The left handed EB signal number plate is 121. At the time the plate has a white background. I am pretty sure when the signals at Smilax road are controlled that number will have a yellow background.
Confirmed via the radio. Unfortunately there have been a lot of problems with the signals between Birchim and Olive the past few weeks.

One thing to note ... the Lake's Farm Service siding has the new dwarf signal in operation (as of a few weeks ago) and the old red/yellow/"S" white signal removed. 121/122 is white signs ... along with 165/166 and the other replaced signals where it appears they simply moved the signs from the signals replaced. I agree that for consistency the intermediate number plates will be replaced with yellow when CTC takes affect.

CTCRailFan#1 wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:I went out Friday afternoon ... a new "wrong side" eastbound signal is in place (bagged for later use) across from the platform. It is further west than I would expect it to be - I expected it to be closer to the points for the division between the yard tracks and the mainline to South Bend.

I would anticipate that there will be some sectionalized releasing around the diamonds and the odd eastward (Pocket) signal across from the platform. It would seem that the current configuration will allow for the maximum amount of parallel moves, follow moves etc through the interlocking.
It is an interesting arrangement and I'll be happier when I see the westbound signals east of the platform - and eventually see how many of the switches there will be remote controlled. It will also be interesting to see if this is called one interlocking or two ... will it all be CP 32.2 or will there be a CP 32.2 and a CP 32.4? (Roeske Ave bridge is at MP 32.19. Carroll Ave is at MP 32.44.
  by justalurker66

Michigan City
A quick trip this weekend. The line work is the approximate 3/4 mile siding at Tamarack (bisected Lake Shore County Rd) and another 9/10ths of a mile of mainline (bisected by Central Ave and ending just east of Carolina Ave). That brings the crew to within 1/2 mile of the LaPorte county line.

Downtown Michigan City the new panel track is in place at the intersection of 11th and Franklin.

No new signals seen at shops.

Google Earth
While marking the locations of the new catenary in Google Earth I noticed that the imagery for Michigan City has been updated to pictures taken 4/28/11. The first thing I noticed was a string of mow equipment on a temporary siding where Sheridan passing siding once was. The temporary siding is connected to the main by a piece of track that sits on top of the main.

The 4/28/11 imagery starts near Miller where the NICTD line crosses over the CSX line and extends east as far as Elkhart and south to Valparaiso. It is especially nice to have new imagery for Michigan City as the old images for the Shops area were missing a couple of major changes (the connection between South Harbor and the yard north of the NICTD main and the addition of two more storage tracks in the east end of the yard).
  by Amtrak7

I guess that means work on the street running section will begin after one or two more weekend outages...
  by justalurker66

Amtrak7 wrote:I guess that means work on the street running section will begin after one or two more weekend outages...
Back in 2009 the final weekend (October 31st) included CP 54.0 and about half mile of single track. In 2010 the August 28th weekend included CP 47.5 and about a half mile of double track. I'm expecting the next weekend (June 18th 2011) will be CP 36.0 and the remaining half mile of single track to the west.

Then on the July 16th and July 23rd weekends they will do the tracks between CP 36 and CP 35.2. Doing both tracks of the passing segment on the same weekend might be possible, but there is a large curve involved. They are probably three weekends from Sheridan Rd. But if they get there in two I won't be upset.

That will leave them five weekends for the final three miles. Three or four weekends for the street running segment and a final weekend to go from Vail St to Roeske Ave.
  by JLJ061

I finally got the chance to document the wire crews working at Central Avenue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYPyw8YCzNg

One of the workers also told me they should be working on the street running section during the July 16-18 shutdown.

Also I noticed that during the repaving of Michigan Blvd at the east end of 11th Street the old-fashioned cantilever crossing signal for southbound traffic had been replaced by a standard flasher. The northbound cantilever is still in place, but I think it's a safe bet its days are now numbered.
  by justalurker66

JLJ061 wrote:I finally got the chance to document the wire crews working at Central Avenue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYPyw8YCzNg

One of the workers also told me they should be working on the street running section during the July 16-18 shutdown.
That seems optimistic ... unless they do the main track only and get to CP 35.2 the next closed weekend and come back for the Power-Sheridan siding on a future weekend. July 16-18 is only the 2nd weekend from now.

Also I noticed that during the repaving of Michigan Blvd at the east end of 11th Street the old-fashioned cantilever crossing signal for southbound traffic had been replaced by a standard flasher. The northbound cantilever is still in place, but I think it's a safe bet its days are now numbered.
There are new signal bases in place on Vail St southbound, but not northbound, leading up to the Vail St/Michigan Ave intersection. One is large for a cantilever there. Otherwise, I agree ... it appears that Michigan City wants a nice clean streetscape. Unless new cantilevers that blend in with the new traffic signal supports are installed they may be relying on standard flashers. It would be odd to see the crossing protection go backwards.

BTW: Off topic for a passenger forum, but related to NICTD/CSS. The freight interchange at South Bend is now gone. The last time I stopped there (by the Amtrak station) was in March when CSS filled the yard with empty coal cars (with the overflow taken to Fishers). Looking at the April 28th Google Earth images, the connection is gone. NS must have taken it out when they replaced track back in April. The nearest interchange (other than CSS Kingsbury Line which does not interchange with NS in LaPorte but does connect to CN in Stillwell) would be via Power west of Michigan City (connecting to Amtrak). The NS connection in Portage remains. With all the cars stored at South Bend and Fishers I don't see how a freight crew can work east of Olive. The empty coal cars are parked all the way up to the derails. It would seem that as soon as CSS gets those empties out of South Bend there will be no more reason for a yard there.
  by justalurker66

NICTD updated their news page on Monday with a new schedule for weekend outages:
"The South Shore is alerting passengers to a series of eleven (10) planned weekend construction events that will cause a temporary cessation of train service east of Dune Park Station"

The change is that the July 23rd weekend has been cancelled.
  by justalurker66

I've been watching for this announcement from Metra ...

"Due track work, the last train on Saturday night, June 11, 2011 and the first train early Sunday morning June 12, 2011, will be bused between Kensington and 111th Street (Pullman). Inbound commuters will detrain at Kensington and board a bus that will transport them to 111th Street where a train will make all scheduled stops to Millennium Station. Outbound commuters will detrain at 111th Street and board a bus that will transport them to Kensington, where a train will make all scheduled stops to University Park."

And the related announcement from NICTD ...

"Effective: June 12, 2011
Busing Passengers between 111th St. and Kensington Stations

The South Shore plans to bus passengers between 111th St. and Kensington stations on the Metra Electric District on June 12. Affected trains include:

Eastbound Train 601 departing Millennium Station 12:45 a.m.
Westbound Train 600 arriving Millennium Station 7:00 a.m.

The busing is necessary in order to install support structures for the Kensington By-Pass project."

Looks like Sunday morning is the day for the new connection between CN-IC and Metra to be put in place, although with NICTD's wording this may just be the new signal supports north of 113th St (across all of the tracks, Metra and CN-IC).
  by doepack

According to the details of this weekend's "bustitution" plan, MED train 148 will drop off two cars at 111th, then continue north. Those cars will then be picked up by its follower, 150; after the south half of 150's schedule terminates at Kensington, and crew + passengers are bused to 111th. The equipment terminating at Kensington will eventually return south when it resumes 153's schedule. Meanwhile, NICTD train 510 will drop cars at Kensington on its way downtown, which will be used to continue 601's schedule east. While it appears that NICTD equipment will be stored at 111th overnight (the set used on the Randolph-111th portion of 601), I've heard that Metra plans to have a crew deadhead on 153 out of Randolph, then bring the train back downtown after it terminates at 111th, but I'm still wondering about what NICTD's plans are for 600's equipment after it terminates at Kensington. Will it be held there, then added to 503 when it arrives at Kensington heading east, or will an extra crew take it back to Indiana after the passengers and 600's crew are dropped off?