Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by 9C1LT1

Hi Everyone,

Last Friday afternoon my friend and I decided to ride an ACMU up to Tarrytown and get off and photograph for an hour or so. So we got the 4:52pm train, an ACMU although the AC was dead in everycar but the front one! What a trip, nice seats!! Big windows. I stood in the vestibule for the last mile or so till Tarrytown. Can't do that on the LIRR anymore... Then at Tarrytown we stayed and photographed for an hour or so, almost everything that went by! It was nice to see all those ACMU's still running, and we got two new M-7 trainsets as well. One question, why do the brakes smell so much in the ACMU's? Anyway it was nice to photograph with out any hassels from anyone, which these days is becoming rare... I had a great time!! However the ACMU we rode in had all of the advertisements taken down so I assume it will be on its way out soon... It was very smooth, LIRR should keep it's wheels like that! Will the ACMU's still be on the Hudson line in three weeks? I'd like to get more photos of them!

-Barry

by DutchRailnut

Yes they should be around for few more weeks.
the brakes on ACMU's smell like airbrakes should smell, specialy in wet weather.
The ACMU's and the Bombardier cars are only cars with straight airbrakes(no dynamic brake) but the Bombardier's with both tread and disk do not smell as much due to lower brake presure on the shoes.

by hsr_fan

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an ACMU? Is it this? I don't think I've seen one of these before, but the description says the photo was taken on May 27, 2004!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=64580

by DutchRailnut

Yup thats them, last Cars NYC RR ordered before going int Penn Central.
and still operating for a very few months

by Otto Vondrak

One of my favorite shots of an ACMU, I took it at Croton Falls on the Harlem Line... this was a fan trip special from a few years back.

They are rolling their last miles now.

-otto-