• NH Covered Hoppers

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by NYC27

I would like to model some of the New Haven's covered hoppers that hauled foundry sand out of the Whitehead Bros. pit on the Tremont Branch in SE Mass. These were the earlier covered hoppers as opposed to the PS-2s.

My question is in regard to color: were sand service cars painted brown as opposed to the standard gray? Bowser makes a brown car with the numbers that were in the Whitehead Bros pool which makes me ask the question. Presumably the color could help differentiate these cars from the cement service cars that loaded on the L&NE and elsewhere.