• Next Station LED displays

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

Is Metro getting lazy with the next station LED displays on the interiors of the Breda rehabs, CAF's, and Alstoms? I noticed that when the rehabs were originally delivered the displays would show the next station, which side the doors would open, and the line. After 6 months or so they only showed the Line color and no station info. The same thing happened with the CAFs--the displays showed the next station, but after a while, they only showed the line. Now I'm noticing that its happening with the Alstom 6000's as well. Ever since the cars were first delivered the next station would always show up on the displays. Now, since September I so I'm noticing more and more of them only show the line color. Does the system has a limited lifespan :-) or is it just the operators forgetting to input the information?

Me, and most other commuters couldn't care less whether the signs are working or not, but they could be of a help to tourists who ride on the weekends or for special events downtown. Metro, IMHO, is by far the easiest large mass transit system to get around in, especially when compared to the other busy Northeast systems like NYCT or MBTA, or the CTA. There are many, many signs located everywhere, and the five color/simple map could be understood but a five year old, but unbelievably riders still get lost, so I think the "Next Station" LED displays could be one more thing to help alleviate that.
  by McWmata

I've noticed this, too. Agreed - what is the point of having them if they aren't in use? I think these are a great feature, and something every world-class system will probably offer eventually (the newer MTA cars in NY do) - don't let them fall into disrepair like so many other parts of our system.
  by Sand Box John

"McWmata"
I've noticed this, too. Agreed - what is the point of having them if they aren't in use? I think these are a great feature, and something every world-class system will probably offer eventually (the newer MTA cars in NY do) - don't let them fall into disrepair like so many other parts of our system.

The signs exist for only one reason. To make the transit agency in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If WMATA were to allow the operability of the signs to fall below a certain level they could be liable for not being in compliance with the ADA. If ADA had not been made the law of the land the signs would likely not exist.
  by realtype

Sand Box John wrote:"McWmata"

The signs exist for only one reason. To make the transit agency in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If WMATA were to allow the operability of the signs to fall below a certain level they could be liable for not being in compliance with the ADA. If ADA had not been made the law of the land the signs would likely not exist.
The ADA actually requires the displays? What about the Rohrs and Breda 4K's? Most transit services don't have signs like these. The ones on the MARC bilevels don't work at all either expcept to display "No Message" or "Unit OK".
  by Sand Box John

"realtype"
The ADA actually requires the displays? What about the Rohrs and Breda 4K's? Most transit services don't have signs like these. The ones on the MARC bilevels don't work at all either expcept to display "No Message" or "Unit OK".

ADA was signed into law in 1990. The likely reason the 1k cars don’t have them is because the regulations that were written to implement the law had not fully evolved when those cars were rehabilitated in the mid 1990s. As to the 4k cars, they will likely get them when they get rehabilitated. The regulations are likely written to allow the transit agencies to delay the insulation of the displays to the time when major overhaul are done on the cars in their fleets or the cars are replaced with new cars. The 1k cars will likely never get them because they are nearing the end of their useful life.
  by SchuminWeb

As with a lot of ADA-related topics, I believe that most facilities that existed prior to the ADA's passage and the formation of guidelines and such are grandfathered, and thus don't have to put any accommodations in until they renovate or otherwise upgrade. I assume the same applies to the Rohr and 4000-series rail cars.

Otherwise, it seems that the signs DO work, and I saw them going on the Alstoms last weekend, with a twist - everything slid off the screen to the left before the next screen popped in. I saw it on the Orange Line: "FARRAGUT WEST" (slides off) ">>>" (slides off, doors open) "ORANGE" (doors close, slides off), "MCPHERSON SQ" (slides off, and you get the idea).

My understanding is that the interior LEDs are controlled from the lead car, and thus if there's a problem there, none will work. Likewise, if a Rohr or a 4000 is the lead car, then there will be no display action, and it defaults to the line color. Not sure if there's a problem if a Rohr or Breda is in the middle spot sandwiched between two newer sets causes the displays in the last pair to not work or not.

I regularly ride in the lead car on the Red Line on the way home from work, and the interior LEDs often do work.
  by realtype

SchuminWeb wrote:As with a lot of ADA-related topics, I believe that most facilities that existed prior to the ADA's passage and the formation of guidelines and such are grandfathered, and thus don't have to put any accommodations in until they renovate or otherwise upgrade. I assume the same applies to the Rohr and 4000-series rail cars.

Otherwise, it seems that the signs DO work, and I saw them going on the Alstoms last weekend, with a twist - everything slid off the screen to the left before the next screen popped in. I saw it on the Orange Line: "FARRAGUT WEST" (slides off) ">>>" (slides off, doors open) "ORANGE" (doors close, slides off), "MCPHERSON SQ" (slides off, and you get the idea).

My understanding is that the interior LEDs are controlled from the lead car, and thus if there's a problem there, none will work. Likewise, if a Rohr or a 4000 is the lead car, then there will be no display action, and it defaults to the line color. Not sure if there's a problem if a Rohr or Breda is in the middle spot sandwiched between two newer sets causes the displays in the last pair to not work or not.

I regularly ride in the lead car on the Red Line on the way home from work, and the interior LEDs often do work.
Yeah, I forgot about the mixed consist issues, but I'm still pretty sure it goes beyond that. So far I've only been in one 6000 that doesn't display the next station (line only), out of perhaps hundreds of rides in the 6Ks (mostly on the Green Line). But, 95% when I ride the Breda 2000/3000's or CAF 5000's (mostly on the Red Line) only the line color is displayed; nothing else.
  by bginva

Part of the problem lies in trains with mixed consists (which I am not a fan of at all, but that's another story...), but I think there are cases where the operators simply don't activate the feature. I recently debarked a train consisting of all rehabed 3000-series cars at Pentagon City for a quick errand. The LED signs simply read "Blue." On my retun trip, it just so happened that I boarded the same train (and same car) and the signs were displaying the next station information. The signs are a nice feature, but they're pretty pointless if they don't work or simply are not activated.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

bginva wrote:Part of the problem lies in trains with mixed consists (which I am not a fan of at all, but that's another story...), but I think there are cases where the operators simply don't activate the feature. I recently debarked a train consisting of all rehabed 3000-series cars at Pentagon City for a quick errand. The LED signs simply read "Blue." On my retun trip, it just so happened that I boarded the same train (and same car) and the signs were displaying the next station information. The signs are a nice feature, but they're pretty pointless if they don't work or simply are not activated.
The drivers do not activate or deactivate the signs AFAIK.
  by bginva

I was given that information by someone who I think would know, but it could be incorrect. It definitely seems like the signs in the 2000/3000 series cars, and to a lesser extent, the ones in the 5000-series, are often not functional beyond displaying the line color. I'd be interested to see what the reasoning is. I believe there was a software glitch at one point that may still be playing a role.