• Newport and Richford Railroad?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by laflamcs

Can someone PLEASE tell me what the current status of this railroad is??? I read somewhere that it is a Canadian Pacific Railroad, but web searches have not turned up much of anything! I would really appreciate it. I am a Vermonter, but I have yet to find the time to take the 2 hour trek north to seek out this line.

by shadyjay

The line from Newport to Richford is ex-CP, but is now operated by the Montreal Maine & Atlantic Railroad (former Bangor & Aroostook system's Northern Vermont RR). I was up that way a few weeks ago and took VT 105 from Newport across the upper half of the state, for something to do on a Sunday. At some spots, the railroad crossed the road, and then it disappears into Canada to get around the northern fringe of the Green Mtns, then reenters in Richford, has a junction with the now-abandoned Richford Branch of the ex-Central Vermont (to St Albans), then heads back to Canada to head towards Montreal. I passed through Richford but didn't see much, although I believe there is a Blue Seal feed plant that gets switched by MMA regularly. MMA has a large collection of GE locomotives in the B23 type series and only one of them is in MMA paint.

Outside of the above, I don't know much about the railroad. I do know that there is a yard right in Newport just off 5/105 in the center of town near the Lake. I'd imagine if you timed it right, you could get some nice shots of a freight going around the lake. As far as schedules go, though I have no idea when they run. They do interchange with the Vermont Railway's Washington County RR at Newport.

-Jay H.