• Newark-Philly via West Trenton

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Kaback9

transit383 wrote:I don't think anyone has photos of NJT on the line (you asked that question a few days ago), but I do have two current day photos of the former Belle Meade Station:

CSX GP38-2 no. 2725 running light past the station, January 2006

CSX GP38-2 no. 2692 with a work train passing the station, November 2007

I recall reading that NJT wishes to restore this station and use it once again once the line is re-activated for passenger service.
There seems to be no available shots of NJT on this line just Septa or Reading in terms of passenger service.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I read thru this topic on the joint Conrail-operated service between Newark and Reading Terminal in Philadelphia-I recall riding these trains occasionally between 1979-1982 being that it was an interesting alternative to the NEC.

I remember that the busiest ridership stations were Hopewell and Belle Mead-because it was an alternative to using Jersey Avenue or Princeton Junction-big time magnet stations like they are today. Ridership to those points was strong until the 1981 cutbacks and the instituting of the single WT train-which I recall was two former CNJ cars-cab and a coach with a GP9.
This train would then deadhead back to Bound Brook and then to their Raritan base.

There was a small core ridership on the thru trains to Jenkintown,Elkins Park and Melrose Park which remained loyal until the end in 1981-SEPTA considered the thru ridership too small for them to support the two thru trains. I further recall riding one of the last afternoon runs with beverage service in 1980 as well as one of the last thru runs in the summer of 1981-loyal riders were truly sad to see the end of the thru service. I further recall when Conrail exited passenger service in 1982 that NJT withdrew the WT service because Conrail wanted to increase freight service on that line and that Hopewell and Belle Mead ridership steadily declined because of the single train schedule operated. Ridership further declined from S of WT because of the forced transfer to a local train and the loss of that one seat ride to Newark they used to have.

Today I feel that this service-because of Central New Jersey's growth-would be welcomed back with strong ridership from places like Hopewell and Belle Mead again-it would be a good alternative to using Jersey Avenue,Princeton Junction or Hamilton today-but the big obstacle is will NJT pay to add a second track that CSX would want now that the WT line is their main freight line between Philadelphia and North Jersey?

In closing this line has potential-will NJT service ever return? Observations and thoughts from MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by ChrisU

Thanks for the information and the pictures.
  by ChrisU

How where the cab cars hooked up and wich way did the unit face also what's the number of the GP9 and what paint scheme does it have? Are you sure it wasn't a GP7 because NJT never had GP9's or did they.
  by transit383

NJTArrow2 wrote:How where the cab cars hooked up and wich way did the unit face also what's the number of the GP9 and what paint scheme does it have? Are you sure it wasn't a GP7 because NJT never had GP9's or did they.
Search, man, search. Its not very difficult.

Go to http://www.railpictures.net

Select "NJ Transit" where it says railroad.

Select "EMD GP-7" or "EMD GP-9" where it says locomotive. Both searches yield results.

View photos.
  by ChrisU

Did they use ex CNJ GP40P's on this service?
  by Kaback9

Probably It got alot of different equipment from what people here are saying.
  by ChrisU

Hmm... What did Conrail use on the line besides RDC's and did NJT ever use Rdc's on the line.Also does anyone know the number of the F40 that ran down that line.
  by Kaback9

NJTArrow2 wrote:Hmm... What did Conrail use on the line besides RDC's and did NJT ever use Rdc's on the line.Also does anyone know the number of the F40 that ran down that line.
Your best bet with the F40 is to search F40 and a town, maybe something will come up also i'm sure there was no set F40 for the train. NJT may have used RDC's in the early years.
  by ChrisU

Thanks did they ever use E8A's and F7A's. Also what was the number of the F40PH-2 that operated the last train over the Reading Line.
  by transit383

NJTArrow2 wrote:Thanks did they ever use E8A's and F7A's. Also what was the number of the F40PH-2 that operated the last train over the Reading Line.
E-8s were on the Coast Line. F-7s were on the Hoboken Division. You asked about the F40 twice in two days... give it time to get a response.
  by ajt

A couple of E's were leased to Metro North in the early days, that's what they were doing in Crugers (MNCR Hudson Line).
  by ChrisU

I also heard they were used on the RVL so mabe they were used on the Reading Line.
  by thebigc

This was the typical Wallsader consist: Hunter tower.