• New subways in North America?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by rail10

Does anyone know of any cities in the USA and Canada planning to build new subways?

by CHIP72

New York has the 2nd Avenue subway, NJT/Amtrak Hudson River tunnel, and LIRR to Grand Central connector.

Baltimore has plans for expanding its local (heavy/light) rail system, which probably would involve some subway rail sections (like extending the current subway line to the northeast). They are still looking for funding though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Los Angeles is looking into building more subways, but I don't know that for sure.

by gt7348b

Seattle's new light rail line is in subway using the former bus tunnel but also extending the subway up to the University of Washington.

by drewh

Montreal is extending the orange line north to Laval.

DC is planning an extension to Dulles airport.

BART is extending south from Fremont to Warm Springs.

Toronto might be extending the Spadina line.

LA is talking about extending from Mid-Wilshire to Sta. Monica. I believe there is a bill in the US Senate to lift the ban on tunneling under Wilshire Blvd.

by drewh

Pittsburgh is tunneling under the river to the North Shore.

Honolulu just annouced plans and came up with funding for a "fixed guideway transit" system. I believe it is above ground rail.