• New Sound Dampening System at Ashmont

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by F-line to Dudley via Park

Anybody see this doozy:

http://www.dotnews.com/2011/t-lays-out- ... ents-still
State Sen. Jack Hart, a South Boston Democrat whose office has been organizing the periodic meetings between the MBTA and residents, said a Silver Line type of bus should be up for a discussion as a replacement for the 70-year-old trolleys.
Thankfully Davey said HOW ABOUT NO! to that. After the 28X community comment fiasco they can't afford to spite Mattapan again someone else's benefit unless they want a big honking discrimination lawsuit, so reasonably confident they aren't considering that at all. But jeez, Senator, back off the ledge. Or actually ride the system yourself and see how silly that statement is.

Article also has some engineering stuff in there about the "tune vibration absorber" being tested.
  by RailBus63

Discrimination lawsuit? I love the PCC's, buit let's be real - there are undoubtedly a good many Mattapan residents who would view modern low-floor buses on a new BRT right-of-way as an upgrade over World War II-era trolleys, especially if the MBTA ran some 28's and 31's as through trips offering a one-seat ride.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

RailBus63 wrote:Discrimination lawsuit? I love the PCC's, buit let's be real - there are undoubtedly a good many Mattapan residents who would view modern low-floor buses on a new BRT right-of-way as an upgrade over World War II-era trolleys, especially if the MBTA ran some 28's and 31's as through trips offering a one-seat ride.
They didn't on the 28X.

Yes, they would file a discrimination lawsuit. They aren't going to get Roxburied or JP'd on their rapid-transit access. They might not win, but there's precedent for bruising the T up in court for a few years over lost transit in a poor neighborhood.

The folks mouthing off here clearly aren't transit riders to begin with. Or figure it's fine to screw over Mattapan and Milton because they only need to commute north. If they did have any stake in it they'd be stating the obvious: uhh, why not extend the Red Line to Mattapan instead of fighting a losing battle with 70-year-old trolleys on a screechy loop? They didn't say that because they don't have any use for transit.
  by CRail

If you're talking about replacing ancient equipment, then you can talk about the cars. Replacing streetcar service with a bus has nothing to do with the equipment, but with the infrastructure. Another note, boat loads of money and a year of shuttling was just spent to put that loop there. Tell the folks down there "We're shutting down service again to replace it with a bus," and it will set off fireworks (and rightfully so!).
  by danib62

I don't have anything to back this up but I have a hunch that part of the issue with the new loop being louder then the old one is that it's elevated. Since it's elevated you don't have the ground absorbing some of the sound being emitted.
  by Type7trolley

I think the article supports 3rdrail's idea that the main complainers are the "yuppies" who don't use public transit in the first place. It's hard for me to believe that anyone who actually rides the system would suggest replacing a rail line with buses. From what I've seen and heard, many people who use the high speed line have a sort of affectionate attitude for their "old trolleys". People around Ashmont who do ride the T likely don't use the high speed line to commute anyway (since they are already at the terminus of the "real" red line) and probably don't share the same appreciation for the trolleys. Either way, it seems it's the people who aren't depending on the service who want to change it.
  by BostonUrbEx

I'd like to know what the operators of the trolleys actually say, and any CSA's who are on regular duty at Ashmont. If they say it's fine, then I'd say it's likely just that. Fine. They're even closer than the residents, and exposed directly to it.
  by Leo Sullivan

I've had occasion to talk to many of the operators and observe the efforts they make to
minimize the problem. As Urbex notes, they are right there and get the full effect
every 22 minutes. They try every combination of power and coasting, different speeds
etc. Aside from being the ones most impacted,
it is very hard not to feel responsibility though they know they don't have much
control over the situation. So, yes, they don't like it and would very much like to
see a solution. CSAs and Inspectors have the advantage of being less involved so,
not so concerned.
  by MBTA3247

I remembered to pay attention this evening when going through the loop, and it was considerably quieter than it was before the rubber pads were added to the wheels.
  by Leo Sullivan

My info is a couple of months old so, I'm glad to hear 3247's (dependable) report.
Anything that interferes with the acoustics of a dished wheel should be a help.
LS
  by RailBus63

Type7trolley wrote:I think the article supports 3rdrail's idea that the main complainers are the "yuppies" who don't use public transit in the first place. It's hard for me to believe that anyone who actually rides the system would suggest replacing a rail line with buses. From what I've seen and heard, many people who use the high speed line have a sort of affectionate attitude for their "old trolleys". People around Ashmont who do ride the T likely don't use the high speed line to commute anyway (since they are already at the terminus of the "real" red line) and probably don't share the same appreciation for the trolleys. Either way, it seems it's the people who aren't depending on the service who want to change it.
Do you have any demographic data to base your conclusion on?
  by Type7trolley

Do you have any demographic data to base your conclusion on?
Nope, just speculating based on the assumption that most people at Ashmont commuting by rail will be going Inbound, not Outbound to Mattapan.
  by 3rdrail

Haha!! Some times, you just don't need it, don't you, Type 7. :-)
  by BandM4266

Does anyone on here know what the T has installed inside the PCC ?
I have heard they placed pumps in the car that sprays the wheel with Windshield wash to help with the Noise along with the Caps on the wheels.
Can anyone confirm this as I may have mis understood what I was being told.
  by Patrick Boylan

I read on prior pages at least one question about what will happen when they spray the noise dampening water when the temperature's below freezing. I assume at those times the nearby residences will have their windows closed, so they shouldn't notice outside noises as much as when their houses' windows are open, so maybe MBTA won't spray water.