• New signals on the west end

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MCER401

The last time I was west of Deerfield a couple of weeks ago, I noticed they have put "Darth Vader" hoods on the new signals on the west end. Looks like they're almost ready to activate them. Does anyone know why the new signals were needed out there?
  by jaymac

I asked a similar question in a post about a year ago concerning new signal heads and uprights that had been installed in the Charlemont-Buckland area, and the response I got was that NS wanted two-mile-long blocks. Sorry: After a quick look, I couldn't find the post and response.
  by Trinnau

Shorter blocks allow higher capactiy at higher speed. Trains clear them faster and the signals behind upgrade faster - within reason. Makes sense to me, some of those blocks out there are pretty long.