• NEW LEHIGH VALLEY BOOK OUT NOW...

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by GOLDEN-ARM

Another LV book is out now, this one from "our" very own Car Floater! Titled "The Lehigh Valley Railroad Across New Jersey", it's just been run, by Arcadia. Points of interest include:
The book covers the history of the Lehigh Valley Railroad and its predecessors from Phillipsburg NJ to Jersey City NJ, and all points in between. The book features many vintage views, never before published anywhere.

I'll give a full review, unless someone beats me to it, as soon as i receive my signed copy, which is in the mail now. Can't be sure, but the cover, in a kind of sepia toned pic, looks like the Black Diamond pulling into South Plainfield. Once again, i find myself pacing, waiting for the mail to deliver the goods...... :-D

by umtrr-author

My dad picked up a signed copy of this book at a recent Jersey Central Chapter NRHS meeting (I think I have the org's name right!), where the author Ralph Heiss gave a talk using images that were and weren't in the book. He enjoyed the talk and likes the book.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

well, i've read the book, like 3 times now. it's a good book. i found only three or four typos, and only one pic, i questioned, as being wrongly labelled. (i swear a westbound train was marked as an eastbound) nice stuff, and worth adding to the collection. it's done geographically, from P'burg to Edgewater. a good read. kudos to carfloater!!!!
  by CAR_FLOATER

Thanks for the kind words, G-A! Glad you enjoyed the book.

Now, if any of you happen to find yourselves in the Joisey City area this Saturday, I will be doing a book signing at the B Dalton's in the Newport Centre Mall this weekend, September 26 at 2:00 p.m.

So, forget the yard work, call in sick, and tell the wife/girlfriend that you are taking them to the mall for the day, and come out and say hi.

Best of all, the mall is built upon the site of the Erie's Pavonia Terminal (not that that is a good thing, mind you) and you can also take the train there, too! The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Line directly serves the mall, and that line can be easily accessed by NJT or the PATH system.

Hope to see you there!

RAH
  by scavenger34

My copy arreived yesterday and I am very happy with it. I like the attention given to the Perth Amboy branch which is a pretty obscure subject. I wonder how many photos Brinkman has on the subject? When was it single-tracked? I know the second track wasn't buried in the cinders.

Warren