• New Kawasaki News

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC1118

All four of the new Kawasaki coaches are going to be sent to their Yonkers, N.Y. for tweaking resulting from issues that arose during all the testing on the Northside the last two months. They will go out via CSX/Beacon Park. No word on the official move as yet though. Hopefully within the next two weeks.

D

by CSX Conductor

Any word on what kind of "issues"?
  by GP40MC1118

Don't know the whole list, but I did hear there was a problem with the air bags....

D

by Porter Sq

What are air bags? The only thing I can think of instead of metal springs they use air bags similar to cars. Any info would on air bags wouldbe great.
  by GP40MC1118

Located on the trucks of the coaches...Contribute to ride stability. If an air bag is down, there are NORAC special instruction rules requiring reduced speeds.

One car with one bag deflated or overinflated, speed reduced to 50MPH and 25 for diverging routes.

If there are more than two cars with air bag problems, its 25/15MPH.

D
  by bingdude

GP40MC1118 wrote:All four of the new Kawasaki coaches are going to be sent to their Yonkers, N.Y. for tweaking resulting from issues that arose during all the testing on the Northside the last two months. They will go out via CSX/Beacon Park. No word on the official move as yet though. Hopefully within the next two weeks.

D
When I get back home on Wednesday I will look for them at Yonkers. When I left Monday, Kawasaki had five ex-Metra hi-levels and one LIRR C-3 in the yard. Quite crowded. Four more should fill it up.

Writing from St. Louis...NCAA's City Of The Year...:-)

by CSX Conductor

I will keep an eye out for them as well. (Both on the B&A and by tracing them in the computer. :wink:
  by bingdude

As of 9:00am this morning, there were 7 ex-Metra gallery bi-level cars, one NYC IRT subway car and one LIRR C3 at Kawasaki in Yonkers. The guys were moving one of the Metras, so there is activity. But no purple liners as yet.
  by bingdude

Sometime Thursday/Friday three of them were delivered (#900, 902 and 903). No sign of 901 unless it is inside.
  by CSX Conductor

bingdude wrote:No sign of 901
Hopefully it didn't get derailed onto it's side in Selkirk. lol :P

by bingdude

:P

Or caught on the hump there.

by CSX Conductor

Yes, since my prvious post I have heard alot about Selkirk headaches. :wink: