• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pumpers

There are about 40 grade crossings from Red Bank to Winslow alone. Hard to ever see any high speeds out of that.
On the NEC from NY to Philadelphia I don't think there is one. JS
  by Jtgshu

Hang on fellas, here we go again!!! :)

No, the former Blue Comet route will NOT be faster.

Not now, Not next week, Not next year, Not ever.

My head hurts............
  by wolfboy8171981

Blackseal Jim wrote:I just want to see more new ties !
Jim H
Don't look for many more until it gets warmer. It's hard to change out ties that are frozen into the ground.

I want to know whats going to go on with the RT530,RT539 and Mt Misery grade crossings. That will be the sign of progress.
  by Hulka

I could not see a high speed trains going through Lakewood. The only way would be to spend big buck$ to install a lot of barriers. To many people would get hit.
  by RailsEast

"Don't look for many more until it gets warmer. It's hard to change out ties that are frozen into the ground.

I want to know whats going to go on with the RT530,RT539 and Mt Misery grade crossings. That will be the sign of progress."

Agreed 100%. When grade crossing work is commenced, then everyone (feds, state, county) is aware of, and OK with, the intent to operate the line.
At that point, the wonder turns to real anticipation..............
  by Blackseal Jim

I have been on the NARCOA speeder runs on the CMSL. If Tony Macrie does to Claytons track what he did to the CMSL, (track work, up dated crossings)operations could be limitless.
Jim H
  by GSC

Would love to motorcar the Southern. (Legally)
  by scottso699

GSC wrote:Would love to motorcar the Southern. (Legally)
I would too but I think unfortunately you wouldn't get to far past Woodmansie! You'd probably need a dirt bike at that point... or even worse just on foot. Its really depressing to see how terrible the line condition is south of Woodmansie such as where it goes through Wharton State Forest and beyond.
  by peconicstation

scottso699 wrote:
GSC wrote:Would love to motorcar the Southern. (Legally)
I would too but I think unfortunately you wouldn't get to far past Woodmansie! You'd probably need a dirt bike at that point... or even worse just on foot. Its really depressing to see how terrible the line condition is south of Woodmansie such as where it goes through Wharton State Forest and beyond.
Well put, whenever I hear of people talking about trains running on the southern south of Woodmansie, all the way to Winslow Junction, I always say to myself, Get Real !!

There has not been a train along this stretch since 1978, and virtually no maintenance since some ballast work done by the CNJ in 1975.

You have stretches of missing track, long gone grade crossings (such as the 206 crossing), mature trees in the middle of the ROW, questionable trestle bridges, not to mention what the envioremental "whack jobs"
will have to say about rebuilding a railroad line through the heart of the pine barrons.

Ken
  by GSC

Going to the former NJ Off Road Vehicle Park south of the Southern Rt 72 bridge, the driveway crossed the tracks, and there are some sizable trees between the rails along there, although a trail runs alongside the rails toward Chatsworth.
  by GSC

I'd settle for a motorcar trip from Lakehurst to Woodmansie. I didn't mean clearing the entire ROW to Winslow. To me, the "Southern" is anything from Red Bank south (west).
  by Blackseal Jim

You'd be surprised about the condition in some spots. There is an area originally known as Harris Station, located near a fire watch tower. This section of rail is in excellent shape, with minimal growth for a couple of miles.
Jim H
  by scottso699

Blackseal Jim wrote:You'd be surprised about the condition in some spots. There is an area originally known as Harris Station, located near a fire watch tower. This section of rail is in excellent shape, with minimal growth for a couple of miles.
Jim H
I know exactly where you mean - I was there two years ago - there is a large mud hole next to the tracks that ate my jeep! It looks as though for some reason some one cut down a lot of the trees in that area as you can see many stumps and cut trees lying along that section of the line. Its hard to imagine that they were cut down longer than 10 years ago as most of the trees that were cut still have not rotted through yet. Either someone had some spare time and thought it would look better cleaned out or someone actually thought there'd be some use in clearing that portion of the line of large trees.

by CTL10D

Ive always wanted to buy a motor car and pimp it out.......black w/ chrome wheels, sound system, little fridge packed with yuengling and jack, maybe a small flat screen. Lakehurst to Woodmansie would be awesome to run on. -Chris L