• New HO Loco Shell Inquiry- an E60CP?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Mike@IHP

As long as we at IHP are thinking of shells, here's one I've been mulling over for a long time: an E60CP electric loco shell.

I have an extra American GK shell I've thought of copying, since it seems as if we'll never see it again from Walthers (I understand some of the tooling for it is damaged). I could even do it as a modified E60MA shell and cast a frame for it, too. Who could use an E60 shell kit?

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

by astrosa

Not a bad idea, but my understanding has always been that the Bachmann model was more dimensionally accurate (although the detailing obviously isn't as good). I've heard about enough people working on E60MA kitbashes that I think the demand would be there for that version, although the Bachmann shells are still reasonably easy to get off eBay or wherever.

Maybe the way to go would be to kitbash or otherwise modify the American GK shell to be a bit more correct. Supposedly, some of the dimensions were fudged to make it fit the Athearn-powered chassis, so I'm not sure how easy that would be.
  by acelaman

I think that an E60MA would likely generate a lot of attention. The last Amtrak variant I believe. I personally would be interested in several. The only other modern electric on the NEC that is not available is NJT's ALP46. I have made one using a Roco db101 as per Mr. Frank Ciceros' article in MRC. If you would need a pattern for that one I would gladly donate this one! Thanks for all of your hard work.