• New Haven RR Strike c. 1954

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by ewh

Can anyone give me any particulars to the strike on the New haven (maybe 1953-55) that went on long enough to have the government intervene and run trains. I figure is was in the spring of 1954, at least that is how I remember it. I was about 6 years old and two of my buddies and I were sitting on the rails of the Fitchburg Branch in Southboro. It was in the middle of the afternoon. The New Haven ran north at this spot around 9 am and south after 5 pm. Anyway, we were sitting there when I looked up and there was a train fast approaching about 500 feet away. I yelled and we all dove over the berm (the location was on a fill) and a northbound freight pulled by two Army geeps flew by. They did not use their horns on us and hadn't used them at Main Street in Southboro either. And I hadn't heard the engine-I just happened to look up. Still bothers me 55 years later. Was the train manned by soldiers? Were they navigating blind without New Haven supervision? How long did the strike last? I later spent nearly 30 years in the Army and it was always fellow soldiers who came near killing me more than Commies or terrorists. Maybe this was an omen.
  by Noel Weaver

I have no knowledge of any strike on the New Haven during the period 1954/1955. The railroad was hard hit by floods in
1955 and they had some US Army locomotives on the property for some time after the floods. They were operated by NHRR
crews in every case.
Noel Weaver
  by Cosmo

Yes, there were quite a few US ARMY locomotives on the NHRR from around '55 onward. Many of them were still on the line until the merger.
Dave Sweetland's book covering S. E. Connecticut and Rhode Island shows at least one of these engines tied up at the roundhouse in Providence.
  by Noel Weaver

Cosmo wrote:Yes, there were quite a few US ARMY locomotives on the NHRR from around '55 onward. Many of them were still on the line until the merger.
Dave Sweetland's book covering S. E. Connecticut and Rhode Island shows at least one of these engines tied up at the roundhouse in Providence.
They did not stay that long, we had them for maybe a couple of years then the army wanted them back. After the SW-1200's
and all the other new power arrived in the late 50's the New Haven had no need for the army engines and they were then
returned. Waterbury had its share of them but there were none left after mid 1956 and maybe not even that late.
Noel Weaver
  by ewh

I always assumed the Army geeps were there because of a strike and you know what "assume" spells. At least it wasn't an omen, just stupid kids. The regular power on the branch was RS-2/3's and this particular day might have been the only time geeps were used. Floods probably accounted for the sporadic service: maybe spring 1955.
  by Cosmo

Spring '55 would be correct for the time of the floods.
  by TomNelligan

Cosmo wrote:Yes, there were quite a few US ARMY locomotives on the NHRR from around '55 onward. Many of them were still on the line until the merger.
Yes with respect to 1955-1956 after the big flood, absolutely not with respect to the 1960s. The Army diesels were a short-term loan to keep the railroad running in the aftermath of the flood.
Spring '55 would be correct for the time of the floods.
Again incorrect -- it was August 1955, and a second one in October 1955. Like Mr. Weaver, I have firsthand experience. I remember my father taking me down to see the Naugatuck River running in its new channel down Main Street in Ansonia, which was a pretty impressive sight for a kid but did terrible damage. The mess from the August flood wasn't completely repaired when the second, slightly smaller one hit in October.
  by Cosmo

Ok, I'll just shut up now.
  by chnhrr

Check the New York Times online archives. I have come across some articles on New Haven strikes in the 1920’s.