Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MikeF

Tadman wrote:MikeF: where was this unveiling you speak of? Is there a set on the property yet?
Yes, the first two prototype cars, 1201 and 1202, are on the property. The official unveiling to the press and dignitaries (not open to the public) was at Randolph Street Station last Friday, May 20. Check the thread "New M.U.'s Are Here!" for more information and my pictures from the event.

by Tadman

Kudos on the good pics, I'll have to ride down to KYD to catch a glimpse tomorrow.

by MetraRy

saw them out and about today. i must say they look pretty sharp. They bring a different look to the line.

by Tadman

Where did you see them? I spent an hour at Roosevelt and didn't see much.

by MetraRy

on the way out i saw them at kyd pulling out of the yard. Coming back the train i was on, stopped at a station and they flew by. This was around 11:00 am. I'm not to familar with the ME so i don't know the exact location i saw them running, but a few blocks from where i saw them i saw a test mile sign. Hope that helps

by Tadman

Anybody have any updates on the new cars? I haven't seen them yet and it's driving me nuts.

IE: testing locations, possible assignments, viewable areas...

by metraRI

The STAR has a good article about the new highliners in today's paper:

First of Metra's new electric fleet arrives

by Scotty Burkhardt

Where have these units been hiding at?

by PRRGuy

When i was workin randolph st last thursday we passed both new cars sitting near kensington

by Tadman

Last night I was watching ME trains at Art Institute and realized what I would miss most as an ME employee operating the new ME cars - running with an open cab door in the summer. I know the people on the diesel lines don't have this luxury, but I'd learn to love it if I worked for ME or CSS.

by PRRGuy

Yep, its kinda nice to do that..wish i could actually get up about 5 mph but hey, its better then nothing when its hot and humid out.

by Scotty Burkhardt

1201 and 1202 are now in service.

by PRRGuy

Hey, I was on my way into randolph st. this morning on 9106 and I noticed the new cars inside the shops building near roosevelt rd. On the way home about 5pm they were still in there.

by byte

What trains are they running on? I can't recally the MED having many, if any, two-car runs throughout the day (unless the next two have been delivered).

by PRRGuy

I'll be working up there the rest of the week, I'll see if I can find out.