• New commuter rail schedule

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Old Colony Lines:

002 – omits 6:05 AM Quincy Center stop (adds 6:13 AM JFK/UMass. stop) – lack of ridership at Quincy.

032 – omits 6:06 AM Braintree and 6:11 AM Quincy Center stops, but adds 6:18 JFK/UMass. stop – lack of ridership at Braintree and Quincy Center.
I also see that my trains (when I take them, I'm usually a Red Liner) have had thir stops eliminated, the first inbound train out of Middleboro and Holbrook won't serve QCT anymore citing low demand and the first inbound trainm out of Kingston won't stop at either BRN or QCT but both will serve JFKUMASS, thus allowing riders to make the early switch to the Red Line if they wish. Something to be aware of...

by ckb

Seems like addition of service to JFK/UMass is a good idea -- it recognizes that not everyone using the commuter rail is headed downtown and facilitates transfer to red line stations south of South Station, plus to the UMass complex.

by Diverging Route

On the other hand, these changes are pretty minor, with no new trains nor eliminations.

On the LIRR, for example, trains are regularly added/deleted based upon ridership demand, and existing equipment re-deployed as required.

Also note that many of the changes on the south side were made to avoid conflict with Amtrak Acela Express service. That won't be a problem for a while :(