Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by PRRGuy

Today, at shops on the RIP track there's 6 new coil cars lettered for South Shore Freight, complete with one piece lids. South Shore Freight logo on the lid in orange, the cars are maroon. Pics coming later.

by dinwitty

that reminds me of the one accident when the SS hit the truck with the coil of steel and the coil running down the aisle....

is that steel plant still using truckage, or did they shift to the South Shore, which to me is a GOOD idea...
it makes me wonder why suddenly all these model steel cars are showing up.

by Tadman

That was somewhere along US-12, near port of Indiana. Now, there are a few bridges over US12 and the railroads to prevent this kind of issue. It's another really smart situation where taxpayers pay for 7-figure bridges instead of properly educating and testing drivers, whether truck or car. Similar situation in Elmwood Park - drivers can't handle the rules? Penalize the railroad. Instead in Indiana we penalize the taxpayers.

by PRRGuy

Yesterday I noticed the new cars over at the Burns Harbor steel mill, all in a line. Yes, they are getting 100 new cars. The slogan on the lids was
Connecting Industry...Delivering value, with the South Shore Freight logo in the middle.
Not bad looking cars either.

by Tadman

I've seen quite a few of these coil cars, and I have to say - the slogan is pretty dang corney. It's like a cheap sales pitch.

by MikeF

Think that's corny? The slogan at the railroad where I work is "Satisfying Customers' Needs Through Continuous Improvements"!

by railohio

You must be a Whizzer then! :-D

by Tadman

Yeah well check this out (and I made this up myself). Our crane company's new slogan is: "60 years of lifting expectations"

by byte

MikeF wrote:Think that's corny? The slogan at the railroad where I work is "Satisfying Customers' Needs Through Continuous Improvements"!
That sounds a lot like something Al Gore would come up with as a book title.