Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

The machines sell tickets in 7 different languages, except moroneese.
why install phones since 90% of all people have a cellphone now with unlimited calling in local area's.
Phones at machines would just be distroyed.
One thing needs to change however instead of one machine at smaller stations the minimum should be 2 or 3 machines.

For Questions 1-800-mta-info (in moronese this is 1-800-682-4636)
  by truck6018

DutchRailnut wrote:There is no Amtrak agent, and Metro North Agent is no longer involved with Amtrak due to pay dispute.
Maybe but....

1) The current contract is still in effect for another year + (until June or July 2010).

2) Part of the job description for a "Ticket Seller" in Poughkeepise is to "Dispense Amtrak information when requested". This comes directly from the current TCU bulletin dated March 25, 2009.
  by DutchRailnut

information as in when does train come and where is that bloody Amtrak ticket machine.
  by truck6018

ajp wrote:maybe some plan of putting in information phones like at ATM's could be considered. I believe the infrastructure is there for the emergency call boxes.
But if te thought wasn't there when the TVM's were installed then no one will care now......
Some locations do have phones (Southeast comes to mind), others only say if there is a problem to call a specific number.
  by Harlem Line to Southeast

DutchRailnut wrote:For Questions 1-800-mta-info (in moronese this is 1-800-682-4636)
LOL. That's actually one of best comments I've heard in a long time. :-D

I agree with the elimination of ticket seller positions where ticket machines can do the job more efficiently and inexpensively (not to mention less rudely). Also, even from a railfan perspective, I don't personally see the loss of a ticket seller as chipping away at railroad nostalgia. There is nothing in the conduct or attitude of the ticket sellers I've encountered that has made me view the person as an enduring sign of railroading or hospitality at its finest. Quite the opposite has often been true, sadly.
  by ajp

is there still a limit of how may TVM's can be installed because of contractual agreements with the ticket agents?
If not at least then have one TVM on both the inbound and outbound platforms.
  by Tommy Meehan

I once heard a union official say, "Eliminating the ticket agent at a local station provides a one-time savings, but eliminating the presence of a human being at the station represents a permanent downgrade of service."

I agree 100% with that statement. (And by the way, it wasn't a Metro-North union official that said it, but one in Chicago.)

I also noted the elimination at New Canaan is "pending ConnDOT approval" and I'm thinking there's a chance they may not approve it.
  by Jeff Smith

Noel Weaver wrote:It is much more important to maintain train service than to have a ticket office.
I predict in the future on Metro-North and probably most of the other commuter railroads too there were be very few
ticket offices and only in the major, major stations. I think the New Haven Line could be down someday to just New Haven
and Stamford, the Harlem to White Plains and Fordham and maybe the Hudson Line with none. I am not saying that this
would happen but I think it is possible.
Noel Weaver
I would add Bridgeport and possibly New Rochelle. But overall the days of ticket windows are done. Definitely agree on Harlem. I'm not familiar enough with Hudson to venture a guess.
  by RDL 879

DutchRailnut wrote:
For Questions 1-800-mta-info (in moronese this is 1-800-682-4636)
Ahem, that's 1-800-METRO-INFO (or 1-800-638-7646) :wink:.
  by Otto Vondrak

DutchRailnut wrote:The machines sell tickets in 7 different languages, except moroneese.
That explains why I can never buy a ticket. I failed the Regents exam in Moronese in high school.
  by truck6018

Otto Vondrak wrote:Is there an actual list of windows to close and a timeline to do so?

-otto-
Ticket office closures: Crestwood, Harrison, New Canaan

Ticket office with reduced hours: Portchester, Greenwich, Westport, Fairfield

In total it will effect 7 positions saving MNR 500K a year.

The time line for these to take effect is June 1.
  by Darien Red Sox

Closing the ticket windows will slow down the process of getting a ticket and create problems for people trying to buy tickets. In my experience they have a.) not worked well a lot of the time not accepting bills that are in perfect condition, one fold and out it comes. b.) you better have exact change unless you want to walk around with a bucnh of dolor coins in your pocket. c.) you need to arrive at the station very early b/c there are some people who don't know how to use them, once my Mom and sister almost missed the train b/c there was somebody trying to buy a ticket who took aver 15 min. of hitting different buttons d.) some days the TVMs decide they don't like you and will not accept your credit card because it is "invalid" even though you have used it in the TVM before and afterwords you walk over and use it for a cup of coffee without any problems.
  by Otto Vondrak

Darien Red Sox wrote:Closing the ticket windows will slow down the process of getting a ticket and create problems for people trying to buy tickets.
Really? I often patronize the ticket window when I can mostly out of charm and nostalgia... the ticket clerks are great! They know their jobs!! It's the idiots ordering their tickets who take forever and hold up the line.
  by truck6018

ajp wrote:is there still a limit of how may TVM's can be installed because of contractual agreements with the ticket agents?
Yes.