Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

Thanks. I figured a switch was a switch, but wanted to make sure. I didn't know it was so close to the yard.
  by Railroader

RearOfSignal wrote:It's an interlocked switch at CP 307, controlled by the RTC. The crossing is inside interlocking limits. It's a regular switch from the main track to the yard tracks. It's a CC crossing, meaning the train has to operate at a slower speed so as to activate the crossing. The switch isn't really in the crossing but a 4 car train train going through the switch would still occupy the crossing.
Just and FYI its a HOS, not controlled from downtown...
  by DutchRailnut

yup CP307 is only about a foot or two long, just two oposing signals.
  by Ridgefielder

I was waiting for the train at New Canaan on Sunday afternoon and noticed that installation of the new 3rd track is more or less complete. Something struck me as odd about the rail, though. It looks like it's old welded rail that's been cut into stick and bolted together. In the middle of each length-- about halfway between the bolts-- you can see the joint where two pieces of rail were welded together. My question is, is this a common practice and I just haven't noticed it before, or is this actually somewhat unusual?
  by DutchRailnut

Stick rail is generaly about 50 foot lenghts so it fits in Gondola, how long is the stick rail in New Canaan ??
  by theozno

I would love to see a picture of what this looks like.
  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:Stick rail is generaly about 50 foot lenghts so it fits in Gondola, how long is the stick rail in New Canaan ??
Dutch- It looked like it was about 50' or shorter. Was hard to tell as I didn't actually notice it until I was on the train & we were pulling out of the station.
  by RearOfSignal

Definitely less than 50'.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Hopefully it will be an end to derailments in New Canaan!!!!
  by DutchRailnut

derailment in New canaan was not a rail problem but a switch problem.
  by MTASUPT

Otto,

Thanks for getting Dutch in the rail length know... :o)
  by DutchRailnut

Some old stick rail if ends were worn/broken were welded to form longer lenghts after ends were cut of two 39 foot sections.
stick rail in original form did not have welds ;-)
  by MNCRR9000

Interesting pictures. Luckily the train didn't slide that far into the intersection.