• new book: "Railroad Heydays on the Hojack"

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

Railroad Heydays on the Hojack by RD White.

It's hardcover and B&W and retails for $31.95. No page numbered but about 1/2" thick. This is an operations book that's comprised of all pictures with captions. It's about the people, equipment, buildings, etc. No real scenic stuff. The type of book talking about backup moves to get from the main to a brach, etc.

Covers later PC through early Conrail of the line from Syracuse to Massena with the emphasis on the upper part of the line. You also get the branch lines to the paper mills and mines, like Star Lake.

I got mine through the CNYNRHS, which offered a discount.

Charles
ea02d0567519f45f3c32fe4b7c8cfad7.jpeg
  by BR&P

What's the timeframe of the book, Charles? Your photo shows a lot of Conrail pics on the cover, which hardly qualifies as "the heyday" IMHO. How far back does it show?

EDIT - didn't have my coffee yet, I see now you said late PC through CR. Sorry!
  by nydepot

Mostly CR but there are some PC shots.

Also covers the shortlines around Norwood.

BR&P wrote:What's the timeframe of the book, Charles? Your photo shows a lot of Conrail pics on the cover, which hardly qualifies as "the heyday" IMHO. How far back does it show?

EDIT - didn't have my coffee yet, I see now you said late PC through CR. Sorry!
  by SteelRail

Are there any books you could recommend on the other end of the line, specifically covering Sodus to Hannibal and points eastward?
  by Otto Vondrak

nydepot wrote:I got mine through the CNYNRHS, which offered a discount.
I didn't see it on their web site, how do you get a copy?

http://www.cnynrhs.org/store.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
  by lvrr325

So I would imagine someone will have copies at Tiger Tracks this weekend.
  by BR&P

SteelRail wrote:Are there any books you could recommend on the other end of the line, specifically covering Sodus to Hannibal and points eastward?
Sodus to Hannibal is only about 30 miles give or take so it's doubtful there is enough to write about on that small segment. I do know a plow went down the bank at Furniss one winter before my time but don't have a year at my fingertips.
  by tree68

Per the introduction, the book covers roughly 1974 to 1986.

I got mine (and got it signed) at the train show in Clayton.
  by Otto Vondrak

Does anyone have contact info for R.D. White? He sent us a sample for review in R&R, but there's no information on where to order this book from. None of the booksellers have it listed, either. HALP.

-otto-