• New Blue Line Cars?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by -Garrett

Hey, does anyone know when these things are going to arrive already? And is there a pic anywhere of what these things will look like? I've heard that they will have stainless steel bodies like the 1800's and Type 8's. Also, I hope these things don't take the next 8 years to run like hte Type 8's!

by jwhite07

According to NETransit, the prototype pair will arrive in April 2006, with production cars in late 2006/2007.

An artist's rendition of the cars is at http://www.curtisdoorsystems.com/projects2.html#blue

by CJ

Ok, figured they would have cought + fixed it by now

Over on TTA's site, all the PHP pages connecting to there SQL DB, are DOA (possibly a changed password)

Gotsa drop them a mail in a few!

by RailBus63

Looks like an 0600 and an 01800 got together and made babies!

by Robert Paniagua

Looks like an 0600 and an 01800 got together and made babies!

LOL that's true, they look just like the 0600 with the curvysides, and the 01800s with the new stainless stell skin. I can't wait to try one of these, they'll be more like the R142/142A in terms of car length. (48' 6" for these lue Liners and the R142/A are three feet longer, but almost the same length when you look at them far away.)

by jonnhrr

Robert Paniagua wrote:Looks like an 0600 and an 01800 got together and made babies!

LOL that's true, they look just like the 0600 with the curvysides, and the 01800s with the new stainless stell skin. I can't wait to try one of these, they'll be more like the R142/142A in terms of car length. (48' 6" for these lue Liners and the R142/A are three feet longer, but almost the same length when you look at them far away.)
Do you mean the 0540's? (The 1951 St. Loius cars). The 0600 were the original Cambridge subway cars and they never had curved sides as far as I remember them.

by rhodiecub2

Will they still use the old Blue Line trains once the new ones ever arrive?

by CJ

I think so, atleast some of em, due to a contractural obligation ( I think it was posted in the Guest series a while back, but dont remember)

by McTed

As it stands now 0600 - 0616 have to remain in service on the Blue Line until somewhere around 2012

We are hoping to see the new #5 car late this spring or early/ mid summer

by orange1234

jonnhrr wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:Looks like an 0600 and an 01800 got together and made babies!

Do you mean the 0540's? (The 1951 St. Loius cars). The 0600 were the original Cambridge subway cars and they never had curved sides as far as I remember them.
I think he meant a 0600 car on the blue line and an 1800 car on the red line.

by Robert Paniagua

I think he meant a 0600 car on the blue line and an 1800 car on the red line.

Yes, that's what I exactly meant, the #4 EBT & the #3 Red Liners, put them in the juice blender in your kitchen, and you get the new 0700s (#5 EBT cars :-D)

by jonnhrr

My mistake, I had forgotten they used the 0600 number series again for the currently in service Blue Line cars. It's funny, they never mixed numbering between the various lines before, but I guess it makes sense since the previous Blue Line cars were in the 0500's that there would be 0600's and now 0700's. Only a few old-timers like me that would get confused (and I confuse easily :)