• Never Seen a Baldwin Steam Engine Like This!

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Rick A

I found this on another site.

It was called a double Fairly-type steam locomotive. Built in the Baldwin shops about in 1909. Photo is 5x7 glass negative.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Allen Hazen

I think it's spelled "Fairley," but not sure. My impression is that it was a type used in some British colonies, or elsewhere on "third world" railways with British influence. (A lot of Latin American railways had British investments.) My guess is that it is a British-origin design for a small articulated, that Baldwin probably built under license, but I'd have to check to be sure.
  by Allen Hazen

Sorry, the spelling is "Fairlie."
There is a Wikipedia article on the type.
The design is British (first one by a Scottish engineer named Fairlie (doh!) in 1864). One or two still in use on the Ffestiniog Railway (a narrow gauge railway, now perated as a tourist railroad, in Wales).
They were sometimes called "Fairlie Patent" locomotives: who held the patent I don't know! They were built by several British and at least two U.S. locomotive builders: under license or maybe after the patent expired. Baldwin's biggest production of them was a narrow gauge (under two feet) version for use on temporary military railways in WW I.