Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

Not so recent (as the VIA LRC locomotive and CP RS18s will attest). The incident happened over 20 years ago (in 1991).

Here is a longer YouTube video of the whole scene. Read the comments to find out more of the details on what happened.
  by electricron

Why do web sites continue to bring up over 20 year old videos and act like it happen yesterday? Are they that desperate for hits?
I wouldn't mind them bringing up old news videos today as long as they made it clear it was old news. But that wasn't what happen here.
  by NS VIA FAN

And a lot has changed in that area over the 20+ years. The track is now owned by VIA complete with signal system. (It was "dark" territory then) And the location is also very close to the new VIA Smiths Falls Station.
  by marquisofmississauga

I for one enjoyed watching the short video and care not a whit that is over 20 years old. I didn't have a computer back then and wouldn't have seen it had it been available promptly. (All right, pardon me for being facetious.) It was a dramatic shot and, from what I've read on more than one other forum, it was appreciated by many. If someone found some ancient movie film taken from a lifeboat of the Titanic sinking, I would certainly hope it would be posted on-line.
  by electricron

marquisofmississauga wrote:I for one enjoyed watching the short video and care not a whit that is over 20 years old. I didn't have a computer back then and wouldn't have seen it had it been available promptly. (All right, pardon me for being facetious.) It was a dramatic shot and, from what I've read on more than one other forum, it was appreciated by many. If someone found some ancient movie film taken from a lifeboat of the Titanic sinking, I would certainly hope it would be posted on-line.
I agree, as long as it's disclosed when the video was taken and not pass off as brand new.
  by Tadman

They don't know which freight line it was because both Canadian railroads run red and white trains... Uh, fellas, that's the national colors. You're going to have to do a bit more digging...
  by Montrealrail1

this face off have been filmed near Smith Falls Ontario..
CP Rail train was doing shunting and was exeeded the working yard limits,then the VIA rail train came in and get in emergency stop to a close call from collision.VIA Rail crew did not expect this and per chance,the RS18 backed up just in time to clear the collision with the 6902 :wink: