• N Scale Track Centers

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Jason W

Can anyone tell me if there is a recommended distance between track centers on a N Scale mainline? My N-Track module book says 1.5'' but that looks a little wide to me, though I understand why it is meant to be so wide on the modules. The NMRA site didn't have any recommendations for such, at least that I was able to see. What do you use? Is 1.25'' good? How about the distance between mainline and sidings or parallel yard tracks? Any help would be appreciated.

by jmp883

As for track-spacing on curves it needs to be sufficient to allow trains with your longest cars to pass each other without striking. I remember seeing a value listed in one of my Atlas or Kalmbach books but, alas, I'm making this post while at work and the books are at home on a shelf under the layout.

Yeah, I know.....if you can't post any useful information then don't post at all. Bite me!! :-)

As for yard track spacing it isn't as important as track spacing on curves is. As long as your longest cars don't foul the other tracks, you should be fine. A tip you might want to try: I use cork roadbed to space my yard tracks. Like the prototype, my yard tracks are at a lower elevation than my mainline, therefore they are not laid on cork, but using the cork roadbed to space everything made the yard look right to me.

Hope this helps....check my layout link for some pics, they may help inspire you.

Joe P :-)

by One of One-Sixty

On my mainlines I usually space them about 33mm apart from center to center. This gives great clearance.