• Mystery varnish - Toms River area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by BlockLine_4111

During a family trip to the shore 20 years ago I have a fuzzy recollection of some coaches stored on a ROW near Toms River or maybe just a little south.

Can anyone confirm status and disposition of these coaches ?

by JLo

I also recall there being an old freight car or two in South Toms River, near the old freight station along Rt 166 there, and a few coaches in Lacey Twp along Route 9.

by gravelyfan

JLo wrote:I also recall there being an old freight car or two in South Toms River, near the old freight station along Rt 166 there, and a few coaches in Lacey Twp along Route 9.
I believe both groups of equipment mentioned here are now located at the Pine Creek RR/NJ Museum of Transportation at Allaire State Park.

The "Coaches" were home-built carbodies on DL&W Caboose Frames, kitbashed by the 1960's tourist line Carroll Park & Western. NJMT/Pine Creek is rebuilding some of these and one will have a wheelchair lift to provide access for persons with disabilities.

http://www.njmt.org/
  by trainman2

I am a train crew member at Allaire, and we do have both the coaches and the freight cars.

As gravelyfan says, the coaches are being made handicap accessable, and the freight cars are on display behind our shops. They were from Carrol Park and Western.

The freight cars are all circa-1948 ACF boxcars from the CNJ. One was originally an express car, hence the green color. The other two (23198 and 23003)are straight freight cars. The caboose that was with them is in our car barn awaiting restoration, but it's identical to the one we already have running.

by gravelyfan

Just to clarify, the three CNJ box cars and CNJ caboose were NOT from the Carroll park & Western; these cars had been turned into some sort of little shops in Toms River.