• Mystery Train in Cape May County

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by cruiser939

Don't think that I've ever posted in this forum before, but this article came across my desk today and I just felt that it had to be shared:
Just in time for the Halloween season, there were sightings of a mystery train traversing the county. Or, at least, a train was spotted traversing the county for somewhat mysterious reasons.
http://www.shorenewstoday.com/news.php?id=5025

The story is so well written that even I was concerned for the poor citizens who were terrorized by the demonic freight train. I bet the "lineman" didn't answer the question because he was an undead minion of Satan and probably tongueless.[/sarcasm]

The reporting on this issue is pathetic at best. Here is a favorite quote of mine:
Residents also were beginning to ask: how, in a post-9/11 world, could such a massive vehicle pass through the middle of a county without explanation?
Try this explanation on for size: it's a railroad, running "massive vehicles" is what they do. This was just a simple rust-busting, yet the local officials have turned it into a crime against humanity.

Have fun with this one guys, and feel free to pick apart the shoddy editing.
Last edited by cruiser939 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by chuchubob

For those who are unaware, yet interested, the huge monsters (freight cars) were run into Cape May City to remove rust from the surface of the rails prior to operation of wine trains from Cape May City to Hawk Haven Winery in Rio Grande on Monday (Columbus Day) and Tuesday.
See third post from the bottom.
  by R36 Combine Coach

I agree, this appears this run was to "clear the rails" for the first excursion run of the winery trips on Columbus Day. No mystery.
  by Jtgshu

Its okay cruiser, while not as "entertaining" as the NJTRail forum, (can't let the facts get in the way of a good story you know.....) we do have some interesting discussions here as well :)

That has to be one of the absolutely worst written pieces of "reporting" that I have EVER read........I mean, its not just bad, its HORRENDOUS.....

and that was the entertaining part of it :)
  by GSC

National Security issues?

Sure, a terrorist would move some 50 old freight cars at 10 mph over a little-used canal bridge to cause trouble in a resort area.

What a truly stupid article. No research was done at all, and someone who obviously didn't know anything at all was interviewed. Duh
  by ns3010

Of course trains are big scary monsters, silly!!

Why do you think people like their cars? Because they're monsters, just not as big and scary. That's why people don't take the train. They're afraid it will eat them. :wink:
  by blockline4180

Jtgshu wrote:Its okay cruiser, while not as "entertaining" as the NJTRail forum, (can't let the facts get in the way of a good story you know.....) we do have some interesting discussions here as well :)

That has to be one of the absolutely worst written pieces of "reporting" that I have EVER read........I mean, its not just bad, its HORRENDOUS.....

and that was the entertaining part of it :)

Is there something crazy in the water down in Cape May County?? I thought the pineys were strange, but the residents down there literally seem like they are from outerspace.! Lots of witches in Cape May City as well.
  by sullivan1985

Residents also were beginning to ask: how, in a post-9/11 world, could such a massive vehicle pass through the middle of a county without explanation?
Because its a railroad and they don't have to consult anybody to move a train over their property? Oh wait, this is New Jersey... People think they are entitled to everything.

I say the railroads start a new program: "New Jersey's Railroads 'We'll Call' Program". Every time any railroad is about to move a train across any rails in the state, an automated phone call will go out to all homes within a 1 mile area of the route. This way, everyone is safe from terrorists. If you live along the Northeast Corridor, you might want to disconnect your phone line.
  by rrbluesman

I can't believe that article is filled with such outrageous misinformation! That 'national security' garbage about the trains turns my stomach, the article makes it sound like Cape May has an issue with terrorists operating unauthorized 10 car trains all the time. I have trouble believing that the author of that article was so totally daft that they failed to do any real research regarding the line in questionor seemed aware that the CMSL continues to have operating rights on the line in question. The only thing that seemed plausible in the article was that the author checked the website and found the information on the CMSL website misleading. The half facts in that article make me unhappy.
  by dlagrua

If you are looking for the epitamy of stupidity this artlcle has it. Sounds like Chicken Little saying the "sky is falling" .
  by southern sec. kid

this is way too much for us to figure out, its about time we call the ghostbusters :P and if they cant figure it out im sure they have scooby doo on speed dial!
But i have a question, Were those old freight cars owned by CMSL?
  by E-44

The "reporter" now has a link to this thread in her email :wink:
  by rrbluesman

Thats impressive, I wonder if she's been getting emails from railfans
  by David

rrbluesman wrote:Thats impressive, I wonder if she's been getting emails from railfans

She has :-D