• MTH $10 cars

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by dkgrubb

Hello,
Just curious, I recently acquired a nice MTH Railking Rugged Rails Series NYC woodside caboose, wich has diecast trucks and couplers, operating couplers, is illuminated, is much larger than the typical Lionel caboose, more like scale, and is all in all an extremely nice, high quality car. I got it from a hobby shop for $10. I saw this at other hobby shops as well, Union Pacific cabooses, and boxcars, all for $10 apeice. At the going rate of nice, high quality cars, how does MTH Railking afford to sell these cars at these prices? I looked at them in the catalogue, and they were asking $24.95 for them. This isn't adding up to me. any ideas?