• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by NYCrails

matawanaberdeen wrote:Excellent news I'm glad you didn't get screwed because you missed one phone call. I forger are you interviewing for Assistant Conductor or managerial job? JC
Thanks .. I'm glad I didn't either. It's for the Inventory Control Clerk position.
  by matawanaberdeen

Oh ok its not a trainmen position. What does an Inventory Clerk do anyway? Is this a college eduction needed position? Thanks JC
  by truck6018

Great news NYCrails! Make sure you get to your interview a few minutes early. From the company's point of view, if you're late for the interview what makes them think you'll be on time if you get hired?

JC, a very brief description is the inventory control clerks work in the store rooms handing out parts to mechanics. They'll also work in the distribution center and pick orders for the other yards.

NYCrails, when you tested out, did they give you the BRAC test? It's a four section test that you have five minutes to complete each section or the Hogan test, a 206 question personality exam?

Also did they mention to you about taking a PAT (physical ability test)?
  by NYCrails

truck6018 wrote:Great news NYCrails! Make sure you get to your interview a few minutes early. From the company's point of view, if you're late for the interview what makes them think you'll be on time if you get hired?

JC, a very brief description is the inventory control clerks work in the store rooms handing out parts to mechanics. They'll also work in the distribution center and pick orders for the other yards.

NYCrails, when you tested out, did they give you the BRAC test? It's a four section test that you have five minutes to complete each section or the Hogan test, a 206 question personality exam?

Also did they mention to you about taking a PAT (physical ability test)?
Yes they gave me the BRAC test and the personality exam.They haven't mention to me about the PAT but its part of the hiring process.
  by Steamboat Willie

Once you're onto the PAT test, unless something doesn't check out you're on the right path for employment. Hope everything works out for you.
  by truck6018

NYCrails wrote: Yes they gave me the BRAC test and the personality exam.They haven't mention to me about the PAT but its part of the hiring process.

I took the PAT the same day as the interview. The had sent a packet prior to going letting me know what to expect. It's something you may have to take later as some jobs in the craft require it. On the other side of the coin you may never need it. Hypothetically, if you were to get bumped inventory clerk you can bump into a vacant ticket seller or customer service position in which both pay more.
  by RearOfSignal

Steamboat Willie wrote:Once you're onto the PAT test, unless something doesn't check out you're on the right path for employment. Hope everything works out for you.
Everyone that interviews takes the PAT, usually the same day. If you go for your medical, where you see the MNR doctors(drop your pants, turn your head and cough), then you're pretty much set. Unless you're deaf or fail the whiz quiz.
  by NYCrails

RearOfSignal wrote:
Steamboat Willie wrote:Once you're onto the PAT test, unless something doesn't check out you're on the right path for employment. Hope everything works out for you.
Everyone that interviews takes the PAT, usually the same day. If you go for your medical, where you see the MNR doctors(drop your pants, turn your head and cough), then you're pretty much set. Unless you're deaf or fail the whiz quiz.
I had my interview today and no PAT test. They told me I would be notified in about a week if I get hired. If they still do it like they did when you went ,I guess that's not good news for me. We shall see.
  by RearOfSignal

NYCrails wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:
I had my interview today and no PAT test. They told me I would be notified in about a week if I get hired. If they still do it like they did when you went ,I guess that's not good news for me. We shall see.
Well my experience was for Assistant Conductor, I suppose it could be different for ICC. I still don't know why these two threads were merged.
  by truck6018

had my interview today and no PAT test. They told me I would be notified in about a week if I get hired. If they still do it like they did when you went ,I guess that's not good news for me. We shall see.
It's possible they may not give you a PAT for this position. Regardless, if you don't hear from them in a week, give them a call.
  by Steamboat Willie

Someone rumored late September. The December hires are all done qualifying and will all be out by the 16th. The 2 prior classes are still out of class waiting to come back in along with another 3 classes for promotion. But Yankee Stadium will probably prohibit that from happening til the season is over.
  by truck6018

Great news! DId you get the paper that outlines what it consists of yet? You'll also need the medical release signed and the release signed and notarized. HR should email it all to you.
  by NYCrails

truck6018 wrote:Great news! DId you get the paper that outlines what it consists of yet? You'll also need the medical release signed and the release signed and notarized. HR should email it all to you.
No email yet. But she told me that she was going to send it.