Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIengineerBob

Just take a look at my profile my email should be right there.

by JoeLIRR

I use MP15 160 but here is my idea of a LIRR hereatage engine(s).

Also I think that P171 needs to stay as is [/img]

by JoeLIRR

IM me if you think that I should up load that engine., i made the 167 in both teh trial & current paint. & the 171 in passenger colors..

by Legio X

This should definitely be proposed to LIRR management by the paint shop crew. One or two MP-15ac's in gray and orange, one in the blue and white, repainted, course and another in the blue and yellow, also repainted. That could be a nice Heritage program. The same could be done with the SW-1001's.

by jayrmli

Nice thought, but last I checked the LIRR was a railroad, not a museum. Don't look for it to happen.

Jay

by JoeLIRR

Jay your proply rite, but there is nothing wrong with the MTA LIRR creating a heritage program. it is just up to who ever is in the "BIG" seat

by jayrmli

Exactly. And the person up in the "Big Seat," who from all accounts is railfan-friendly, doesn't want to have to answer to a Newsday article complaining how taxpayer's money is being used to fund such a project.

I agree that history is important, but 98% of the commuters who are paying for tickets just want to get to work. They don't care what color the locomotive is, or whether the railroad is representing its history.

You might also say painting an MP15 in gray and orange is distorting history. It never wore those colors in the first place!

Jay

by LIengineerBob

Neither did the Harold Protect engines wear orange and grey and they seem to be one of the most popular pair of locomotives the LIRR has ever operated.

by JoeLIRR

Bob,
pass thoes screen shots around. they can be used as a trial, the final out comeif the "heritage" idea woks, can vary from thoes pics. after all I was limited to what the texture mapping aloud.

I think that the Harold Protect pair are as popular asthey are because they are the "only" units in sevrvice on the LIRR to ware thoes colors.
even with a full heritage program in action. there is NO active LIRR equpt that wore those colors on the line today.

I see the Idea of the heritage program for any railroad is to paint one of its modern day equpt in the colors of its predissor RR. or so thats my personal idea.

by freightguy

Bob, isn't it true that the Harold Protects were painted much to management's dismay or without official authorization? A fomer shop employee said they got into trouble for painting the teeth on "Jaws" also.

GREG

by JoeLIRR

ya I beleve thats the guys that painted the Harold protect engines did get blasted by the RR (must of had alot of explaining to do). but to do an mp15 in thoes colors I think that the LIRR will have to give the authorization to do it. Times are diffrent now.

by Legio X

150 is back. I saw it switching the museum equipment spur at the Nassau County bus garage next to Garden City Yard on Thursday, 06/10. It's still in the classic as-delivered blue and white, as was 157, which was tied onto a cut of NS and LIRR gondolas just east of the Clinton Rd. crossing. Thank you, 162 and 169, for helping the lead unit of the fleet get back into service.

by Legio X

I saw 157 on the trestle over the Cross Island Pkwy. at Belmont Park with flatcars of "sectional track" on concrete ties. Still in blue and white. Later, I saw 165, also in blue and white, running light eastbound past the NYARNG Armory at 168 St.

by Legio X

Saw the same scene with 157 repeated tonight, but with 150 tied up at the end of the spur closest to the Cross Island Parkway in the Belmont Park terminal. 150 was in the same spot this morning when I passed by on my way to work, so I guess maybe it was'nt used today. I also saw the LORAM machine pulling into Hollis station from the lead into Hillside Facility.

by mhfeldman61

It would make sense to see #157 retained in Blue and White, as the Overland Brass factory painted model of #157 is painted in this scheme.