• Movies filmed on or around NJ railroads?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pdman

What movies have ever been filmed on or around New Jersey railroads? I seem to remember a black and white one from a long time ago that had a quick flash of DL&W electrics. I might be wrong. Anyone know of any?
  by 1st Barnegat

The 1927 film, "The General," a story about the Civil War that featured railroading, was filmed at least in part in NJ. This was before the bulk of the movie industry moved to California. The film industry started here with Thomas Edison's invention of the motion picture camera and his movies.

For more on "The General," see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017925/

by Lackawanna484

Parts of "The Great Train Robbery" were filmed on the DL&W Boonton Line in Totowa circa 1915.

There was a movie last year fimed at Hoboken Station, along the NYSW in Newfoundland, etc.

by CRB

The Station Agent.

by nick11a

CRB wrote:The Station Agent.
Yeah, the Station Agent is big for that.

Garfield had stock footage of what appeared to be an Arrow III train IIRC.

The Princeton Dinky was featured in an episode of Stephen Hawking's Universe.

by sullivan1985

Kevin Smith had some NJT in both Jersey Girl and Chasing Amy.

Jersey Girl: A train speeding out of New York into Jersey and the station sign was changed to read "New Jersey".

Chasing Amy: The two comic artists are in Red Bank I beleive and a few expresses of Arrows and i think One ALP train go by. You really cant see them to much because they are blurred in the background and also moving about 80 MPH.

by henry6

Lackawanna484 wrote:Parts of "The Great Train Robbery" were filmed on the DL&W Boonton Line in Totowa circa 1915.

There was a movie last year fimed at Hoboken Station, along the NYSW in Newfoundland, etc.
While this topic has been covered many, many times before, it is a fun one to revisit. Actually, the Great Train Robbery was filmed (also) in Wharton on the DL&W. "Happy" O'Hay, conductor on the Dover Drill in the '50's used to tell me stories about the filming as he was present and witnessed it. My grandfather told me of stories of how Franklin Rd, Denville, running parallel to the DL main for about 3/4 mile before crossing over, was used for car/train races in first decade of the 20th Century to the disdain of DL people. The grade crossing was elimenated with the imporovements of the early teens.

by njt4172

pdman,

I have a list of some movies that were filmed in NJ with railroad content.....

1) "Three Days of the Condor" (1975) Filmed in Hoboken Terminal
2) "The Hideaways" (1973) Filmed in Hoboken terminal and Madison, NJ as DL&W Mu passes
3) "Rich and Famous" (1981) Filmed at night of MU passing Madison
4) "One Upon A Time in America" (1982) Hoboken Terminal
5) "First Born" (1984) Filmed in Morristown...old MU coach yard
6) "The Toxic Avenger" (1985) Filmed in Boonton , NJ as well as train scenes of push pull coming out of West end tunnels....
7) "City Hall" (1996) Filmed in Wayne, NJ in the snow as diesel set comes into Mountain View station

There are probably many more movies out there filmed around here.... "The Station Agent" with lots of railroad content just came out in 2003 and was filmed in Hoboken, Dover, Rockaway, Jefferson Twp, and parts of Lake Hopatcong....

Hope this helps,

Steve

by Ken W2KB

Movie "From the Terrace." Scenes filmed in the early 1960's in the CNJ Jersey City Terminal (now Liberty State Park) using a Reading T-1 steam locomotive.

by pdman

Thanks to all! Apologies, as I did not know it was a topic already done before.

by nick11a

pdman wrote:Thanks to all! Apologies, as I did not know it was a topic already done before.
Good to revisit this though.

On a side note, I didn't realize that was Hoboken Terminal in Sergio Leone's classic?

What a great director. Besides of course his fantastic Eastwood Trilogy, his two "Once Upon a Times..." are just classics and both feature the trains rather quite romantically of course accompanied by the great music of Ennio Morricone.
  by henry6

pdman wrote:Thanks to all! Apologies, as I did not know it was a topic already done before.
No apologies needed...it is a fun topic and there is always a new film clip to be viewed. Ya wanna try another topic, try TV commercials and NJ railroads!
  by PDT009

First Barnegat wrote:The 1927 film, "The General," a story about the Civil War that featured railroading, was filmed at least in part in NJ. This was before the bulk of the movie industry moved to California. The film industry started here with Thomas Edison's invention of the motion picture camera and his movies.

For more on "The General," see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017925/
Actually, none of the General was filmed in New Jersey. The exteriors were filmed in Cottage Grove, Oregon. A few of the interiors were filmed back in Hollywood at Keaton's studio (the old Metro studio once used by Chaplin). Producer Joe Schenk was fairly parsimonious in most cases but seemed to let Keaton spend whatever he wanted on this film Hence the relative high quality of the shots.
Keaton had at one point considered filming the movie at the original site of the Great Train Robbery, Kennesaw, (Big Shanty) GA. However, by 1927 that section of L&N track was a mainline and too busy. So Keaton opted for the sleepy little shortline in western Oregon.
Also, by 1927, almost all of the film industry had moved to southern California. There were a few active studios in Astoria, Ft.Lee and a few other places but for the most part Southern California had been the working location for most big studios since the early '20's.

by Ken W2KB

Maybe he was thinking of the "Perils of Pauline" which was filmed in NJ, I believe.
  by henry6

PERILS OF PAULINE was reportely done in Ithaca, NY on both the LV and DL tracks. And in the gorgeous gorges of the local terrain.