• Movable Bridges on the New Haven

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Schaffner

Besides the lift bridge over the Cape Cod Canal, how many other moveable bridges, (all types: lift, swing and draw), were there on the New Haven?

UPDATED FROM EARLIER TODAY:

Just remembered the Shore Line bridges in New London and Cos Cob. Any others anywhere else on the NH?
Last edited by Schaffner on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Tracer

I might be wrong, but i believe the rolling lift bridge just east of Providence's "east side tunnel" (now abandoned) was once owned by new haven.
  by DutchRailnut

On Shoreline:
Mystic river
Groton
Shaws Cove
NAN
Con

On MNCR :

Cos cob(cob)
Westport(Saga)
Norwalk(walk)
Bridgeport(peck)
Devon

On NY connecting RR:

Pelham draw.
  by TomNelligan

In addition to Buzzards Bay and all the mainline bridges listed above, there's the still-active swing bridge over the Connecticut River in Middletown on the Air Line, and there were two now-abandoned bridges in Providence, the bascule bridge on the PW&B line to East Providence as noted by Mr. Triker and the swing bridge to the onetime Boston & Providence RR terminal at India Point that lasted through the 1960s. There was also the Fort Point Channel bascule bridge just outside South Station and the Neponset River bascule between Dorchester and Quincy on the Old Colony. Both of those have since been replaced by fixed spans.
  by Noel Weaver

Please be advised that the New York Connecting Railroad did not extend east to Pelham Bay. The bridge at Pelham Bay was
on the New Haven Railroad Harlem River Branch which later became the Hell Gate Line and it today part of Amtrak. On this
same line there was also a draw bridge at Bronx River which was betwen West Farms and Westchester Avenue Stations but
this bridge was grounded in the 50's. The home signals westbound for this bridge remained after it was made a fixed span
for many years to allow for reverse moves at SS-4/Market.
There were other drawbridges or swing bridges that have long since been abandoned over the past years.
Noel Weaver
  by Gerry6309

The Nepomset draw burned in 1959 and wasn't replaced until 1996. Made it easy for the NH to can Old Colony service.

There was a draw leading to Aquidneck Island, which I think was New Haven at some point.

Two other areas I can think of where there might be a draw:

On the Shore Line south of Providence where it skirts Narraganset Bay for a while.

On branch lines crossing the Connecticut River between Old Saybrook and Windsor.
  by TomNelligan

Gerry6309 wrote:There was a draw leading to Aquidneck Island, which I think was New Haven at some point.
I forgot about that one! Yes, that was a New Haven bridge. It was removed just a few years ago.
Two other areas I can think of where there might be a draw:

On the Shore Line south of Providence where it skirts Narraganset Bay for a while.
No, not in the mid or late 20th century anyway.
2. On branch lines crossing the Connecticut River between Old Saybrook and Windsor.
Yes at Middletown, as I wrote above, but the Hartford-East Hartford crossing was and is a fixed span, as is the bridge at Windsor Locks (where the water is only a few feet deep due to the Windsor rapids). There were no other NH crossings of the Connecticut River north of Old Saybrook.
  by Gerry6309

Did some research on the nautical charts, and found one more draw on the appooach to Cape Cod. This one is on the "Narrows" the entrance to Buttermilk Bay about one mile west of the Canal Bridge.It is listed as a Bascule, but it is adjacent to a fixed highway bridge with only a few feet higher clearance, so it may not be used much.

Also checked out the section along Narraganset Bay. There is one inlet crossed, Apponaug Cove, but the navagable portion ends at the railroad bridge, so no draw was required.
  by Statkowski

On the actual New York Connecting Railroad, Little Hell Gate was built as a movable bridge. It was never used as such, but it was built as such.

And, on the Providence, Warren & Bristol (which I think may have been Old Colony trackage), the Slades Ferry Bridge over the Taunton River at Fall River was movable. Out of swervice circa 1938?

NHRTIA Data Sheet 12.2.0 (copyright 1979 by NHRHTA) is a reprint of a New Haven document dated 1942 listing movable bridges and the number of openings for the period 1932-1941. It lists the following movable bridges, preceded by the bridge number:

3.40 Bronx (bascule)
7.73 Pelham (bascule)
17.97 Cos Cob (bascule)
29.53 South Norwalk (swing)
32.36 Westport (bascule)
43.88 Bridgeport (bascule)
48.50 Devon (bascule)
34.65 Lyme (bascule)
24.39 Middletown (swing)
45.05 Hartford (swing) - no openings 1941
44.50 Niantic (bascule)
50.41 Shaws Cove (swing)