• Most luxurious train/s in the World

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by CarterB

What would the posters consider THE most luxurious train in North America and World:

A) North America
B) The World

a) Prior to 1939 1) day 2) overnight
b) 1939 to 1971 1) day 2) overnight
c) Post 1971 1) day 2) overnight

Reasons why also. Consider accommodations, diner, lounge/obs cars, service/s, comfortable ride.

by David Benton

interesting topic . I'm afraud my experience of luxury trains is limited .
Downunder In NZ , we had the silver star , which ran from early 70's to early 80 's . those carriages are now used on the singapore to Bangkok luxury train . albiet heavily refurbished .
  by george matthews

CarterB wrote:What would the posters consider THE most luxurious train in North America and World:

A) North America
B) The World

a) Prior to 1939 1) day 2) overnight
b) 1939 to 1971 1) day 2) overnight
c) Post 1971 1) day 2) overnight

Reasons why also. Consider accommodations, diner, lounge/obs cars, service/s, comfortable ride.
South Africa's Blue Train ran from Cape Town, the parliamentary capital, to Pretoria the civil service capital. Thus under the old regime it carried the elite of the regime. It still runs, though I think it has some other routes as well. It had all the luxury fittings you would expect.

In 1968 I took an ordinary train on roughly the same route, which was quite satisfactory.

The VSOE - Venice Simplon Orient Express is a recreation of the 1930s train that once ran to Istanbul. It's a sort of Disneyland for the very well-off. It has a version in Britain that also does day trips inside Britain. It does not go through the tunnel. People are taken by ferry to France, or possibly by bus through the tunnel. Of course it goes only to Venice now.

I think there is now no regular train to Istanbul that goes from Paris but there may be a train from Wien or Budapest.

by johnthefireman

In South Africa, Rovos Rail would probably claim that their train is more luxurious than the Blue Train. It's certainly more expensive. I've travelled on the Blue Train (from Pretoria to Victoria Falls) and walked through the Rovos Rail train, and they're both pretty good. Both trains do various routes (there are two complete Blue Trains, and Rovos can make up several trains). The Blue Train does Cape Town, the Garden Route and Victoria Falls, I believe, while Rovos does Cape Town and I think Durban regularly but from time to time does international trips as well as frequent short dinner runs. The Rovos Rail train is steam hauled for the short legs in and out of Pretoria, and I fire for them from time to time when they're short staffed.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Depends on what you consider to be a formal train. But my vote would go for the train that is made up entirely of privately owned railcars, PV's. These cars are all Mansions on Wheels, with service to match. Some time ago such a train consist was made up and traveled across the USA, led by Amtrak diesels. Owners were interviewed and the entire trip was a Pentrex Videotape and DVD. So, all can see how the "other half" lives.