• Morrisville Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by colincrow13

How many trains a day travel on the Morrisville Line? Do any of these trains connect to the Trenton Line? Also, how active is the Morrisville Yard?
  by JimBoylan

colincrow13 wrote:Do any of these trains connect to the Trenton Line?
Almost none, except for NS over-dimensional loads detouring via CSXT from the Bound Brook, N.J. area, then reversing after using the new connection, to get to Morrisville.

by Septa Fan

There is, I think an occasional local freight from the Coatesville area. However, it is truly sad that such a well engineered and strategic line is now so underused.
SEPTA FAN

by JimBoylan

There is usually a daily round trip between Conway and Morrisville, and 2 daily round trip piggyback trains between the Morrisville TrailVan terminal (actually in Fallsington) and the West. These trains leave the line at Earnest, near Plymouth Meeting and run through Norristown to Abrams to get onto the Reading's old main line. Almost anything else would be extra unit trains, run sporadically. A train of steel between Coatsville and the docks at the old United States Steel Fairless Works would probably use the entire line.

by pumpers

Not too long ago, wasn't there a daily CSX round trip of stacks that
couldn't take the CSX main because of clearances? I think they
maybe were going from South Philadelphia up the Trenton line,
and return. Going out to Abrams on NS, reversing through
Norristown and then the Morrisville Line to get back on CSX
at where the Morrisville line crosses CSX (I forget the name
of hte location, it's near Oxford Valley maill and 95).

Are these trains still running? I heard CSX was working on clearances,
but have no idea if it was done

JS

by ns1282

We actually run quite a few trains over the morrisville line each day. off the top of my head there is the 17g, 14g, 38g, 39g, 21q, h83 and H4A (only goes out to CP-King then out the dale secondary and return), and the CSX trains we relay between Lang to Falls via Abrams are q191 and q190.

by jfrey40535

NS, thanks for listing all the trains. I frequent the Southampton area and I do hear many trains a day at the County Line Crossing.

Is County line the only defect detector on the line? And I'm guessing that scheduling of the trains is irratic too, although if I had the patience, I could probablly see one or two go by if I sat out there in the late afternoon.

by msernak

I live where the Morrisville line goes over the Trenton Line. The only trains using the connector are CSX Q190 and Q191 (I believe). Those are the doublestackers. The clearance prject is not yet complete. There are also dimensional loads that use the connector. There is a talking defect detector in Langhorne. I believe it calls off West Lang. There is also one somewhere in Morrisville as my scanner picks this up from time to time.

Mike