Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by robertwa

While visiting my mother in Ridgewood today, I saw M-7 #7453 on the Bay Ridge Branch at Forest Ave. It sure was an unusual sight!

by 9C1LT1

I rode 7444 on Saturday on the Port Washington Branch. Talk about new looking and smelling! It was very nice, I did notice when exiting how different it looks compare to the dirty 7100 something that it was coupled to...

-Barry

by mark777

well, worry no more about those dirty M-7's because I recently heard that some M-7's were actually being power washed by car cleaners which might explain why I had an entire train of older M-7's gleaming like the new ones. It's about time they clean them. And yes, there had been talks about a possible M-9 somewhere down the road, but nothing of it has come up. The priority now is to replace the M-1 fleet.

by Long Island 7285

Mark, u noticed some "cleaner" low number M7s and even M1/M3's that looked suprisingly too clean for LIRR. its nice to see that.

by mark777

they have been putting us through the wash more often lately, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Then again, washing trains on a rainy day doesn't really make much sense, but I guess with the left over soap on the train, the rain helped to make it look cleaner. But yes, I have had a number of M-7's numbered in the 7100 and 7200 series that looked too clean. They actually blended with the 7400's in our consist, not your usual shiny 7400 M-7 couple to a copper colored 7000 series M-7 like I had today. The metal on the M-7's are really dull and dirty, it amazes me at how dirty they get. Maybe the RR should go to Home Depot and buy the polish for stainless steel appliances that I use for my refrigerator! :wink:

by Frank

mark777 wrote:they have been putting us through the wash more often lately, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Then again, washing trains on a rainy day doesn't really make much sense, but I guess with the left over soap on the train, the rain helped to make it look cleaner. But yes, I have had a number of M-7's numbered in the 7100 and 7200 series that looked too clean. They actually blended with the 7400's in our consist, not your usual shiny 7400 M-7 couple to a copper colored 7000 series M-7 like I had today. The metal on the M-7's are really dull and dirty, it amazes me at how dirty they get. Maybe the RR should go to Home Depot and buy the polish for stainless steel appliances that I use for my refrigerator! :wink:
Why are some M7s dirty?

by newkirk

Mark777 wrote;"well, worry no more about those dirty M-7's because I recently heard that some M-7's were actually being power washed by car cleaners which might explain why I had an entire train of older M-7's gleaming like the new ones."

If power washing the M-7s are making them as clean as the newly delivered ones, maybe it's time to redesign the car washes. Power washing is probably time consuming. Maybe moving the train slowly through power washing jets are better than a rotating brush.

by mark777

I have yet to see a train come out of the wash looking like my car after I took it through a car wash. It needs more brushes, more soap, and higher powered water, but power washing might be the answer.