Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terrapin Station

Is a Zone 2 Hudson Line monthly pass good for travel to a Zone 2 Harlem Line station?

by Terminal Proceed

Yes it is.

by Terrapin Station

Terminal Proceed wrote:Yes it is.
Thanks!

by grabber

Harlem and Hudson Monthly and Weekly Commutation Tickets are valid between GCT and as far as the corresponding Harlem and Hudson line stations.
Harlem and Hudson single trip,round trip,senior,disabled,10 trip and special discount tickets are interchangeable between the Hudson and Harlem lines only. fare zone to fare zone.

New Haven single trip,round trip,senior,disabled,10 trip and special discount tickets are valid only on the New Haven line.
New Haven monthly and weekly commutation tickets are valid between GCT and and the indicated New Haven station and as far as the corresponding Harlem and Hudson station as defined in the official Diversion in Station Table. you'll have to ask your conductor or station agent to look it up for you.

by Terrapin Station

grabber wrote:Harlem and Hudson Monthly and Weekly Commutation Tickets are valid between GCT and as far as the corresponding Harlem and Hudson line stations.
...so you're saying the answer to my question is "no"?

by LIRailfan79

i think the answer is "it depends".

just go to the Metro-North website and send an e-mail asking the same question. you might want to be very specific, like saying exactly what kind of monthly pass you have and to exactly what stations you want to use it to go to.

by timz

"Is a Zone 2 Hudson Line monthly pass good for travel to a Zone 2 Harlem Line station?"

"i think the answer is "it depends"."

On what? When is a Zone 2 monthly not good to a Zone 2 station on the other line? Got an example?

by Terminal Proceed

As long as the ticket parameters are between Zone 1, (GCT/125 St) to zone 2 (Bronx stops) the ticket is good.

If it's a Zone 2-Zone 2 Hudson - Like Morris Hts - Riverdale - it is not valid on the Harlem.

It MUST go into zone 1 to be utilized on another line.

Thats the answer from not 1, but 2 conductors now.

By the way - there is only ONE kind of monthly pass available. It's called a monthly pass.

by Nester

Slightly OT question (inspired by this thread):

Can a MN Monthly commutation ticket issued for either the Harlem or Hudson lines be used for transportation on a New Haven line trip to a station on the New Haven line that is within the State of New York.

An example of this would be a passenger presenting a monthly ticket for Poughkeepsie on a train that is traveling from GCT to New Haven, and wants to get off at Mamaroneck or Rye.

Nester

by LIRailfan79

i mean what zone your monthly pass is good to.
a monthly pass to zone 2 is NOT the same as a monthly pass to zone 3 (try using a zone 2 monthly pass to a zone 3 station and see what happens. just tell the conductor they are all the same, see how far you get).

by Terminal Proceed

Nester yes - in the scenario you provided - that would work as long as your monthly was good to POK from NYC -GCT/125 - if it was a commutation ticket from say Marble Hill to POK - then the answer is No - it would not be good for a ride on the NH to say Rye or Portchester. The WEEKLY or MONTHLY PASS MUST EXTEND ALL THE WAY TO NYC TO BE USED ON ANOTHER LINE. IT MAY NOT BE USED ON OTHER LINES IF IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR INTERMEDIATE POINTS.

LIRailfan - I suggest you refrain from answering questions you are not qualified to answer. There are plenty of people on these boards who are far more qualified to answer fare questions than you are.

Kevin

by Nester

Terminal Proceed wrote:Nester yes - in the scenario you provided - that would work as long as your monthly was good to POK from NYC -GCT/125 - if it was a commutation ticket from say Marble Hill to POK - then the answer is No - it would not be good for a ride on the NH to say Rye or Portchester. The WEEKLY or MONTHLY PASS MUST EXTEND ALL THE WAY TO NYC TO BE USED ON ANOTHER LINE. IT MAY NOT BE USED ON OTHER LINES IF IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR INTERMEDIATE POINTS.
Sorry that I did not make it clear that the monthly pass was GCT - POK. At the time I wrote the post, I did not consider that MN sells intermediate station monthly tickets. I do recognize that such a ticket exists :)

Nester
  by Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station wrote:Is a Zone 2 Hudson Line monthly pass good for travel to a Zone 2 Harlem Line station?
The answer to my question, as many of you gave, is "yes." I proved this yesterday by using the combination of my Hudson Line GCT->Zone 2 monthly ticket and a Harlem Line Zone 2->Zone 5 intermediate ticket to go from GCT to Valhalla. When the conductor came around to collect tickets, I showed him my two tickets, he paused for about three seconds, then shrugged his shoulders and said, "fair deal!"

And let me just say that express run to White Plains rocked. He was haul'n all the way. It was also my first time north of NWP.

by Terminal Proceed

I know the answer to your question is yes. We told you that all along.

by Terrapin Station

Terminal Proceed wrote:I know the answer to your question is yes. We told you that all along.
Yes, as I mentioned in my post above. But the answer is just "in theory" until I can actually prove it "in practice" (you never know what might happen / go wrong when you try something for the first time) :-)