• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by cp327

IF THEY RUN TRAINS IN FREEHOLD BOROUGH WILL THEY STILL USE A SINGLE TRACK OR WILL IT BE A TWO TRACK LINE?

by OCtrainguy

There was an editorial published in the Asbury Park Press on Tuesday. It was written by Representative Panter and the other representative whose name currently escapes me.

The editorial was pro-Monmouth Junction route and, in my opinion, was anti-Matawan route. One of the cons that was focused on with respect to the Matawan route was the extension of the Henry Hudson Trail and how developers and real estate agents are touting the benefits of the trail with respect to selling home.

Also, the press added a picture to the editorial of the SA35 laying over in Lakehurst with CSX GP40-2 4412 and coupled to another GP40-2 unit . If anyone still has Tuesdays Asbury Park Press, it's worth the read.

by JLo

Here is the letter in the Press:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 00338/1030

As for double-tracking in Freehold proper, probably not going to happen. Too much real estate would be needed for that project. This also brings to mind a big drawback of the Matawan option. There is little room for passing sidings for the entire segment from Matawan to Freehold, due to the encroaching development.

by OCtrainguy

Thanks for posting the link. It makes things a little easier...

by CR6618

I do a reverse commute quite often, traveling south on the GSP or Rt. 9 in the morning rush. No problem for me, but wow do I feel sorry for the northbounders. The GSP had the northbound Raritan tolls removed and traffic is still as bad as ever. It is usually backed up from Exit 117 to 129. As for Rt 9, I see they are working on a new northbound GSP ramp at South Amboy, which will help a lot. It backs up from the Rt 34 merge and beyond. I remember how bad things were many years ago, before the Ernston Road overpass was built. It seems to be just as bad these days. I'm not around for your PM rush but I imagine delays are similar.
  by 1st Barnegat

transit383 wrote:Looks like MOM is starting to gain some more support!
And we can add our own. There will be a "rally for rail" in Lakewood this Sunday (5-22-2005) at Third Street and Clifton Avenue. Hosted by the Central Jersey Rail Coalition.

Recall the recent poll indicated 21 to nothing in favor of MOM at http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12321

More on the "rally for rail" in Lakewood at: http://www.co.ocean.nj.us/planning/mom.htm

by railtrailbiker

Reportedly, the official opening for 6.1 miles of the new rail trail segment, constructed on one of the proposed MOM routes, will take place on June 4.

Ceremonies will be held at 115 Dutch Lane Road in Freehold. Not sure what the starting and ending points are for the 6.1 miles to be opened.

by OCtrainguy

Here's the write-up in today's Asbury Park Press concerning the rally yesterday.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... /505230319

by Douglas John Bowen

The Star-Ledger coverage of MOM Sunday, May 22, by contrast, was an exercise in numerous errors and/or misleading assertions, particularly regarding MOM's history.

For all its woeful reporting, however, the Star-Ledger piece finally did implement a mid-course correction of sorts, allowing (almost in backhand fashion) that MOM might actually have some support within Middlesex County.

NJ-ARP supposes this is progress.

by OCtrainguy

There was an article in this past Sunday's Asbury Park Press on the front page of the Local Front. The article focused on noise & vibration concerns in Matawan with respect to the Lakehurst-Farmingdale-Matawan route.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 20399/1004

by CR6618

railtrailbiker wrote:Reportedly, the official opening for 6.1 miles of the new rail trail segment, constructed on one of the proposed MOM routes, will take place on June 4.

Ceremonies will be held at 115 Dutch Lane Road in Freehold. Not sure what the starting and ending points are for the 6.1 miles to be opened.
6.1 miles? The trail doesn't even cross Rt 79 at Wicatunk. I've walked the segment in Marlboro, from the old station, towards Matawan, but only for a short stretch.

Anyone taking the trail when it opens, let me know where it ends.
  by Douglas John Bowen

The Farmingdale/Howell stretch of track shown in the photo, at last check, is not officially abandoned.

And it is (and will be) increasingly in demand not just for passenger rail use, but also for increased freight service, as an alternate route to both MOM-area freight customers and as a back-door access route to the Chemical Coast.

NJ-ARP has seen rights-of-way in New Jersey in far worse condition -- some even with trains operating on them, however gingerly.

by railtrailbiker

6.1 miles? The trail doesn't even cross Rt 79 at Wicatunk. I've walked the segment in Marlboro, from the old station, towards Matawan, but only for a short stretch.

Anyone taking the trail when it opens, let me know where it ends.
The trail segment scheduled to be opened on June 4 is 5 miles long and will run from Freehold (Route 537) to Marlboro Township (near Allen Road).