• Mogees Station

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by plymouthcoh

I travel the R6 commuter train every day from Center City, and have noticed that on some of the older route maps there is a Mogees Station.

From surfing around, I have ascertained that Mogees closed in the early 90's, but I have been unable to find where the station was despite many attempts to locate it.

By all accounts, it should have been on Ridge Pike in Norristown, where Conshohocken road intersects with it. Currently this is an auto detail shop, also the railway line goes nowhere near this location.

Does anyone know where Mogees was? I would love to know.

by glennk419

Mogees Station was located on the border of Norristown and Plymouth Township, at the end of Ross Street. The area is just west of where the PA Turnpike crosses over the R6 and where the Earnest connection to the ex-PRR parallels the Valley Forge bike path.
  by plymouthcoh

Thanks, but I don't understand how this could be correct even though it is on the map.

The location stated is now Norristown Rentals for plant equipment, and there is no railway line anywhere near this site. There is a spur which looks like it might be CSX which is within 500 yards of it, but usually a station is right on the railway. From here, you'd have to bus passengers from the station to the track....

This is what I am getting at....was there a line which ran close to the location that was torn up between the early 90's and now, is the map wrong, or am I missing something obvious?

by plymouthcoh

glennk419 wrote:Mogees Station was located on the border of Norristown and Plymouth Township, at the end of Ross Street. The area is just west of where the PA Turnpike crosses over the R6 and where the Earnest connection to the ex-PRR parallels the Valley Forge bike path.
Thank you! So the map is wrong then? I wonder what is in its location now. I will take a look on my way home as I go down Conshohocken road.

by plymouthcoh

glennk419 wrote:Mogees Station was located on the border of Norristown and Plymouth Township, at the end of Ross Street. The area is just west of where the PA Turnpike crosses over the R6 and where the Earnest connection to the ex-PRR parallels the Valley Forge bike path.
There was also an Ivy Rock station as well. Do you know where that one was too? :-D

by glennk419

plymouthcoh wrote:
Thank you! So the map is wrong then? I wonder what is in its location now. I will take a look on my way home as I go down Conshohocken road.
Actually, the map is pretty close. The area in the vicinity of Ridge Pike and Conshohocken Road is known as Mogees Station. The actual train station was just a few blocks from there.

by whovian

If you ride the R6 Norristown local, you'll have to walk up and look through the head end cab window to really get a good glimpse at the old station, as one could easily pass it without noticing given the way it looks right now. Going South bound, after you leave Norristown Transportation Center, you'll go over a road crossing, Ford street, then you'll enter into an S-curve south of the road (you should see an overhead brigde as well). As soon as you clear the S-curve you are at the Northern limits of the old Mogees station. It is a lot easier to distinguish if you see from the front or the rear of the train. Ivy Rock is about another 1/2 mile south of Mogees, although I'm not sure it was a passenger station in recent memory. There used to be a hand operated cross-over there, and you can still see where the trolley wire crosses between 1 and 2 tracks, as well as the operators hut labeled as Ivy Rock.

by glennk419

plymouthcoh wrote:
There was also an Ivy Rock station as well. Do you know where that one was too? :-D
Ivy Rock was between Mogees and Conshohocken. It's primary function was to service Alan Wood Steel which shut down most of it operations after bankruptcy in 1977.

Here's a link to station locations by mileage from Reading Terminal.

http://www.readingrailroad.org/reading/rdg_routes.html

by PARailWiz

I've only ever seen Mogees coming from Philly. There's a white building in the area with a circle that comes near the track before going around the other side of the building, and then right after that if you look carefully you'll see the old remains of the platform. I think. I believe there are some sidings as well right around there. It is hard to see though, it took me several days of looking to see it.

As for Ivy Rock, I don't know if this is related, but there is also a large, ivy covered rock that is clearly visible if you look on the river side...I've never definately identified the location of Ivy Rock though.