• Moderator's note - Saturday, Jun 30th 2012 trip

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by David

There will be the possibility of others following us in my SUV that will have room to take those that want to leave their cars at the train station.The trip will go on rain or shine. Contact me if there are any questions--Thank you.
  by ns3010

I'm planning on going for at least part of the trip. I have work Saturday night, but hopefully I'll be able to stay until around one (depends on traffic).

Fortunately, the weather looks pretty nice, so let's hope it stays that way!
  by JoeBas

Call me a "Maybe", got in on 20 last week and not returning on 19 until the 6th.

Was planning to gut some fish at Showboat's poker room that day, but the 3rd might do just as well. ;)
  by chuchubob

It was a great day for South Jersey railfanning, with total sunshine, and hot enough to make David feel at home. Thanks to David and Mike for organizing the trip. Also, the other participants all made it a good group, even Nick.
The first major stop was at Winslow Junction, where the Southern Railroad of NJ equipment was resplendent in the sunshine.
M420 and GP9
former Suzie Q Budd RDC
caboose
M420 and U18B
O&W liveried M420
cherry red M420
44-tonner and F7
F7
M420R 802 and 801
CF7 in the bushes at Crowfoot

Bob Vogel
  by chuchubob

Our second major stop was at the Cape May Seashore Lines at Tuckahoe, Upper Township, Cape May County, where we caught Tomy Macrie working when we arrived. In spite of being busy, Tony was a gracious host, answering questions and inviting us into the restored Reading Company Tuckahoe Tower.
CMSL plans to operate between Tuckahoe and Richland in the fall, including night Santa trains which were very popular last year.
CMSL also plans to operate into Cape May in August again in 2011.
Bear in mind that these are plans, and that "stuff happens".

URHS equipment at Tuckahoe maintained by CMSL:
"LV 576" and "LV 578"
PRR 7000
comparing noses
CNJ 1523

Then we went down to Woodbine and saw gondolas being stored.
  by JJMDiMunno

Thanks very much to everyone who came out today - it was great having such a relatively large group on one of our excursions. Hopefully we can all get together again sometime.

Also thanks to the hospitality of Tony Macrie of the CMSL for meeting with our group today despite his ridiculously busy schedule.

Mike DiMunno
  by Kaback9

JJMDiMunno wrote:Thanks very much to everyone who came out today - it was great having such a relatively large group on one of our excursions. Hopefully we can all get together again sometime.

Also thanks to the hospitality of Tony Macrie of the CMSL for meeting with our group today despite his ridiculously busy schedule.

Mike DiMunno
I'll second all that!
  by Jtgshu

I wish I could have gone, i bet it would have been fun!!!!

Maybe next time.......

David, we have to get back up to our friends house up north sometime soon!!!! I think Nick owes them a box of cookies and Kaback wants to gawk over their granddaughters picture again. :P
  by ns3010

I'd also like to thank everyone who was there, expecially David and Mike, who planned the trip.

Thanks also to Tony, who was able to take a short break from all his hard work to meet and talk with us at Tuckahoe.

Also, where did you guys go after Nick and I left? Hopefully we didn't miss too much.

P.S.- Bob, great photos (as always)!

I'll try and have my photos up tonight after work. If not, look for them on Wednesday.
I know that David wants a certain picture to go up, but I'm afraid that anyone who posts it might be given a board warning by a certain other moderator. Decisions, decisions... :-)
  by Jtgshu

NS, post it, as long as its not a pic of Nick playing with his organ, you'll be fine :P
  by chuchubob

ns3010 wrote:...Also, where did you guys go after Nick and I left? Hopefully we didn't miss too much...
We went to Vineland, Glassboro, and Newfield and checked recently removed rail and ancient artifacts (no, not me).
  by David

Leaving good old New Jersey Wednesday July 6th for Florida. It has been a great month here and will plan another excursion(s) when I arrive here again in December. Thank you to all that attended the two excellent expeditions this summer. I would like some suggestions for our next trips, one in the north and one in the south. I have two group photos that will be posted when I return to Naples.
  by waldwickrailfan

i have 2 ideas for the north: one is the NYSW. that may not be the best idea, but just a suggestion. the other is the old ROW on a trolley line that is still visible from Fair Lawn, NJ to Mahwah,NJ.

for the south, another old ROW, still visible, from just north of Rio Grande,NJ into Wildwood. this is very short, but still a suggestion.
  by JJMDiMunno

waldwickrailfan wrote:i have 2 ideas for the north: one is the NYSW. that may not be the best idea, but just a suggestion. the other is the old ROW on a trolley line that is still visible from Fair Lawn, NJ to Mahwah,NJ.

for the south, another old ROW, still visible, from just north of Rio Grande,NJ into Wildwood. this is very short, but still a suggestion.
The south ROW is the Wildwood Branch and is probably best to do in the wintertime due to the quantity of insects you will encounter during the warmer months. It's definitely something we can throw on the list for those who have not walked it.

Mike DiMunno
  by ns3010

Jtgshu wrote:NS, post it, as long as its not a pic of Nick playing with his organ, you'll be fine :P
No, that was the other joke of the day (and why he got made fun of for having to leave early). Come to think of it, Nick doesn't have jurisdiction in this forum, so he couldn't do anything about my posts here. (OT- if we had a "devious" smiley, this would be the perfect place for it :-) )

Here's my stuff from the SRNJ part of the trip.
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2619770
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2619776
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2619778
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2619779
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2619780
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2619782

I'll have the rest of the photos (from the CMSL part of the trip) up either tomorrow or Thursday.