• Modeling preferences for roads and highways

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by mu26aeh

I wanted to check with the forum on your preference on building roads on your train layout. I have seen using sheet styrene and others using drywall mud(have 4.5 gallon bucket of it to use soon). I have alot of cork roadbed left after laying all my track, was thinking of using that as a base and putting the styrene on top of it. What are your ideas?

by GOLDEN-ARM

I used to use a product that was made for repairing furnace duct work. It comes (came) in a can, and was speadable, like spackle, but it would dry to a medium gray color, much like an asphalt roadway. it had fibers in it, which held it together. I just put down masking tape, along the needed "road", spread out a thin, even layer, and then pulled up the tape, before it dried. A couple of hours later, it was ready to be striped, weathered, whatever. Cutting a rectangle into the dried road, then adding a wash of diluted semi-gloss black, gave the impression of a repaired section. cracks could be added, also with a knife, and filled in with dry chalk, also black, to represent repaired cracks. Potholes, etc., also very easy to simulate. The stuff was available at your local hardware stores, or from one of the "big-box" stores. Very easy to work with, and road colored right out of the can :-D Good luck :wink:

by Otto Vondrak

Using cork and sheet styrene sounds like an excellent idea- if you are modelling asphalt or concrete roadways with shoulders. You could also try drywall mud, but it takes a little bit of finesse to get things just right.

The roads here are sheet styrene, painted with Floquil Engine Black, and then lines were applied using colored pencils:

http://ritmrc.org/photos/2004january/me ... street.jpg

by green_elite_cab

colored pencils work? i was just about to ask how i would put lines on my roades. i bought some Polly scale signal yellow ( looked close enough) to put across my roads. is ther any suggestions for that?

by GOLDEN-ARM

Diluted yellow paint, with a bit of white in it, and white paint, also diluted will give you the white and yellow stripes, lines and markings, needed for roads. get a very small brush, with an extra fine point, or if you dont have one, any small brush can be cut down to a "pencil-point" like tip on it. Lighter colors look better, from "scale" distances, as you dont want stark, glossy yellow lines pulling your eyes to the road striping, instead of watching the trains. Thin, fine lines, light in color, will look most realistic. in a pinch, a sharp pointed toothpick, will also work, with appropriately thinned paint. Better to go light, and add a second coat, if needed, than to go too heavy, and have to start the whole road, from scratch. Regards :wink:

by Otto Vondrak

Colored pencils definitley work (see the link to the photo at RITMRC above), and are easier to control than paints (in my experience). Using actual stripe tape or decals is too consistent- colored pencils give that slightly inconsistent look of weathered paint.

-otto-

by jmp883

I use the Woodlands Scenic road system. It contains all the materials you need to make either asphalt or concrete roads and sidewalks. The only thing you'll need to provide is the striping.

It's an excellent system, very realistic results.

by mu26aeh

thanks for all the ideas so far. also, just got one today from a friend who works at hobby shop. he said, "use black construction paper. it's cheap, durable, realistic looking, and when dust gets on it, you can wipe it off, but not all of it will come off so it looks a little weathered. or you can wipe it with your finger and kinda streak it."

by Otto Vondrak

Black construction paper doesn't look good at all. It's not durable, and it wont hold up to weathering and any type of rough handling that may be encountered.

Styrene or some sort of drywall mud is your best bet.

-otto-

by mu26aeh

Well, I started roadways tonight. Decided to go with the joint-compound/mud. Did this cause I already have it, and have no intentions of doing anymore drywall soon, also can't spend money on extra things right now cause wife is off work with 6 week son(our first). I go to hobby shop for one thing, come home with 10 things, you guys know how it is.

Only problem I have now is, how can I keep the road thickness level? I started where I had a road right along the edge of layout and screwed a board on the side for level, but what can I do in the middle where there is no edge? Line road with cork, something else and fill where the road goes? Ideas anyone?

PS: Also found this website, from Chattanooga Depot.com

http://www.chattanoogadepot.com/road-work.html

by viken

If that's how you're going to do your roads, get some Woodland Scenics paver tape and a wide putty knife. That will keep your roads nice and level.