• Model railroading and clear coats?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Not always a stencil. Penn Central used vinyl cut lettering on many of its cabooses and passenger cars starting in the 1960s... and we did the same when we restored our PC caboose: http://www.rgvrrm.org/media/photos/trai ... c18526.jpg

-otto-

by NellsChoo

AHA! See??

:wink:

by NellsChoo

Oooh, good comeback!

Hmmm... think of this now: you know those buses and cabs with all-over graphics? Advertising and stuff? I wonder if railroads will ever use that technology, or if it's just too costly. I think the MBTA used that on some of their subway trolleys. But imagine a boxcar or covered hopper will all-over graphics! What a sight that would be! :-D

by bentnosewillie

NellsChoo wrote:Woah, hold on a sec! How in the Wide World of Sports do you get paint to adhere to the model after applying the floor wax??
I didn't say "wax", I said Future Floor Polish.

Future is not wax. It is an acrylic clear gloss finish for floors. It airbrushes very well and dries to a hard, clear, glossy finish that decals adhere to beautifully. I've been using it for nearly twenty years, having gotten the idea from articles in Fine Scale Modeler and other scale-modelling journals. It's also the secret to sparkling canopies on model airplanes.

I've used clear gloss finishes from most of the hobby paint makers, but I keep coming back to Future. After the decals are on, settled and dry I follow up with Testors or Modelflex clear flat finish to kill the shine.

Does it work? You tell me. These models have been through the finishing process I outlined earlier - six to eight coats of finish:

Here's a faintly semigloss finish:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/sue.ellen/p ... odels/5967

And here's a flat finish:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/sue.ellen/p ... odels/3627

by Otto Vondrak

BW- very interesting method- and the final results look great!

-otto-

by NellsChoo

I didn't know Future hardens like that... makes sence! I have also heard about that technique, but not having worked with the product, I assumed it wasn't something you could paint over. Didn't mean to doubt you like that.