• Model Power N scale steam engine quality?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NellsChoo

Hi all

I have been waiting to see what the new Model Power N scale 2-6-0 and 4-4-0 engines look like as they will have each in a B&M scheme.

Their list price of about $140 seems high. What is their engine quality like? I have seen some of their other products and wouldn't classify them anywhere near Atlas, etc.

Do you think these engines will be worth the money?

JD

by Mike Walsh

I got the model power 4-6-2 a few years back. I thought it was well built. Granted, it's MP's first quality steam locomotive, so the detail kinda lacks just a little bit, but it is a GREAT locomotive. I pulled ~50 atlas 25 foot ore cars by itself. The tender contains all the wiring points, so that greatly assists with installing a decoder. It might be a little loud at high speeds, but I think the all-metal boiler is part of the reason for that. I think it was worth it.

Mine crapped out because the wipers on the tender were polarized, and I put the axles in backwards (I had to remove them for some reason or another), and it caused an instant short and melted the trucks, et cetera. Just a warning. I think they took care of this with the change to wipers instead of springs (i know, odd).

I'd get another one if i was still a hardcore N scaler, but now I'm kinda dabbling in N scale, and focusing on HO scale.

Mike