Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RPM2Night

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on any details of the Metro-North's training program. Is it similar to the LIRR's training program? How many phases, how long, and is it paid training? How long does it typically take them to reply to resumes posted on their website? Does experience on a freight railroad make you more attractive, or less to them? Any input will be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

by DutchRailnut

Resume's can take up to one year to get reply.
asfter testing it again takes months for interview.
after interview you may never again here from Metro North even if you pass all requirements and phases.
ask my son :-(

by jg greenwood

The only part of your question I can answer is the length of time after submission of your resume' before you're contacted. I submitted a resume' for the Rail Traffic Controller vacancy. Friday the 26TH. I received an e-mail from Human Resources informing me of a testing session scheduled for Sept-15TH. This was approximately one month after submission of my resume'. Sorry I can't answer anymore of your questions.

by RPM2Night

That sucks, I know the feeling though Railnut. I interviewed with the LIRR on June 30th, the interviewer seemed very excited about my potential, and pretty much garendeed that I would hear back for a panel interview. I feel that I'm definitely qualified for the job. I have 6 years customer service experience, 2 years cash handling, and I work for a railroad currently so I have experience around the equipment, I understand the rules and proceedures, and I am used to working the unforgiving schedule that typically comes along with a railroad job. Plus I have a clean driving record, don't do drugs or drink, and thus far I have a clean safety record on my railroad.

I've been thinking about it though, and I think I'd really like to live somewhere between the Hudson and Western Ct, between White Plains and Brewster. Working for MNRR would be perfect.

And I know this sounds crazy, but I really miss working with people. The railroad I work with is freight, so I rarely get to interact wtih new people. Occasionally we'll run into another railroad we interchange with, but that's about it.

by Maybrook fan

RPM

If you get hired it may take some time to get based out of where you want. I have a friend thats work on mantaining trains. For his 1st few years he got bounced from Brewster, Croton, Wassaic, Danbury to Poughkeepsie. With the union rules in place senority is a big thing. I am not tryin to burst your bubble, its a good job. But just warning you that you may not get your choice of location and shift until your foot is well within the door.

by RPM2Night

Thanks for the heads up. I'm aware of the situation with seniority. Even on the short line I work at now, seniority makes a difference. Not quite as much as a big commuter railroad, but it still means something lol. I've always wanted to work for a commuter railroad though, and I'm willing to pay my dues as far as starting at the bottom of the seniorty list and working my way up.