Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

First of two switchers for GCT near completion at Brookville.
Two 700 hp cummins engines each driving one truck via electric propulsiuon.
Two control stands , no HEP.

Photos by Wayne Koch

Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Clean Cab

Could the yellow color be a warning of yet another lemon?
  by NorEasterNick

It's wierd how these BL's remind me of NJT... the BL20 of the new GP40PH-2 and this BL14 of the GP40-2 (4300's). Since the BL20's have the flared radiators and these dont.
  by kitn1mcc

not bad

twin motors they could have made it a center cab
  by Maybrook fan

Do these have 3rd rail power or stricktly diesel ???

Also from what I understand the 20's pull ok slow. Its when they try to build some speed is when the problem starts. So wait and see how these handle tugging things around in GCT before judgements are made.
  by Jeff Smith

Dutch, can these be used in rescue service without HEP? Or purely toting around empty cars?
  by DutchRailnut

you will see these units on GCT switcher and probably the am/ pm mo switcher.
they are geared for 45 mph max I believe but should have plenty of pulling power.
As for maybrook railfans comparison to BL20gh they have nothing in common other than trucks/frame and control stand.
  by Lucius Ameri

Maybrook fan wrote:Do these have 3rd rail power or stricktly diesel ???

Also from what I understand the 20's pull ok slow. Its when they try to build some speed is when the problem starts. So wait and see how these handle tugging things around in GCT before judgements are made.
I believe that if they are for GCT they would have 3rd rail shoes...
  by DutchRailnut

No these are stricktly diesel, and no rules will be broken since these engines are only used in non-revenue moves.
  by DutchRailnut

According to Brookville site the unit has been shipped.

by Patrick A.

So did MNR get a discount for the Brookville Ad? Lookin sharp though nonetheless.
  by kitn1mcc

looks like some one is cleaning up the windows
  by jmgabriel

Dutch...do you know if the Flexicoil trucks were reconditioned from departed FL9s or are they new? Thanx.
  by DutchRailnut

I don't think their ex FL-9 trucks, but you never know, they may have been salvaged of FL-AC's but it would be pure speculation on my part.
  by kitn1mcc

it is sharp looking