• Minute Man Bike Path question.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by theseaandalifesaver

I took a bike ride along the Minute Man this afternoon and noticed something that's clearly an old Platform a little ways passed Alewife. I thought that was pretty cool and was wondering if there's anything else that exists from the days of the B&M along the path.
  by Red Wing

The two things that come to mind is the old stations in Lexington and Bedford. I also think there is still some track left around the Lexington DPW.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Could be Lake St. That was a stop as well.

There's a few signal bases left, including the one that held the semaphore at Lake St. A couple diamond signs. Some grade crossing protection equipment at Spy Pond. A siding with rails still sticking out of the ground a little past Arlington Center. Some sawed up rails stuck vertically in the ground around trees to protect them from snowplows. And of course plenty of bridges. I haven't been up past the Arlington-Lexington town line to see what's further up, but there's subtle bits of RR residue on every stretch.
  by B&M 1227

What you saw was probably the old granite "curb stones" that lined the platform edge at Lake St. At Linwood Place there's an old gong style crossing bell, and in Arlington Center, the signals that guarded the Mass Ave intersection are still in place. Past Arlington Center are a few cement whistle (W) and "R" posts. Before grove street on the high school side of the ROW, and behind the DPW buildings is the remains of a coal trestle. At Brattle Street there is a rusting diamond shaped sign with "OB" in large letters. This sits at the south end of what was once the Brattles platform. Between Brattle Street and the Skating Rink you can see the remains of a siding that split off the left and descended to the parking lot. This was once met with an 18" or 24" cart railway, but those tracks were paved over about 5 or 6 years ago. Between Forest St and Lowell St there's an old "Stop Look & Listen" sign made out of a spare piece of rail. Between Lowell St and Park Ave are two sidings, though one is mostly paved over. You can still see the frog showing through the pavement. Until about 5 years ago there was a tell-tale attached to the side of Gold's Gym to warn crew members on the car of the clearance issue where the trackage entered that building. There also appears to be a concrete tie (why, I don't know) discarded behind the old-folks-home/walgreens. I'm not as familiar with Lexington, but there are two sidings between Lexington and the Bedford line, and some rail discarded around the Hartwell Avenue crossing.