• Minersville line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

I was looking at the blue comet web site and saw that in Minersville, PA there was a station that stood in the middle of a wye. Looks like one track in good shape and one track defunct. What's left in modern times? Are the lines used at all or is it all abandoned?
  by Schuylkill Valley

The railroads that are next to the Minersville Station on the right side is the former Reading Co. and on the left side is the former Wolf Bara Mine branch now defunct. The track that is still used is own by Reading & Northern. The other branch is being used for storage of the CNJ No.113 steam locomotive, being restored to full operation.

Hope that helps,
Len.

Rail Fanning Minersville, Pa. with CNJ 113, 1-31-08
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gsZTqBlTL5U
  by mst145

Reading & Northern tried to abandon that line a few years ago but Reading Anthracite prevented it. The line has only been used for storage since the New St. Nick breaker shut down & was demolished in 2003, when RA began to process coal at the Girard Breaker outside of Girardville. I've noticed RBMN has been running alot of coal extras lately to Girard. I heard they are at capacity at Girard & will be building a new breaker at the New St. Nick site to handle the overflow. I guess once the breaker is finished, operations will resume on the Minersville line.

M.T.
  by Schuylkill Valley

[quote="nittany4"]There appears to be two platforms at the station in these pictures, although neither shows two distinct sets of tracks

In this station picture , look to your left, you can see part of the front of the steam locomotive 113, that track was the Wolf Bera mine railroad, the track to your right is ex-Reading Company now Reading & Northern.

Len.