Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#278328  by Komachi

I've asked this in the "General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock & Equipment" Forum, but I figured I'd also give it a shot here, as this is the forum for the successor roads of the Milwaukee Road.

What I'm looking for, in particular, is the height, width and weight of one of those ribbed sided Milwaukee Road cabooses (cabeese?).

I'm going to assume they're 10 feet wide (like most equipment), but how tall are they with the trucks removed and what, roughly do they weigh with and without trucks?

I ask, because the historical society had tabled my search for equipment, but are now asking me start looking again. We want to ship it via "low boy" and need to know if it will meet clearances, weight restrictions, etc.. I haven't been able to come across said info. in the sources I have on hand, and thought I'd ask if anyone here has a "ballpark" estimate of what we're talking about tonnage wise, and how tall it would sit (roughly) on a trailer bed 30" off the ground.

Any info. would be appreciated.